Film users in Perth??

Discussion in 'Australia' started by NormG, Feb 7, 2011.

1. NormG

NormG Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Are there many people who shoot / develop film in Perth, Western Australia??

I'm looking to set up a dark room and i'm having trouble buying an enlarger... There's plenty for sale on eBay but they're too dificult to ship. I was holding out to find one locally but that's proving difficult....

I'm starting to feel quite isolated :pouty:

2. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thread moved to Australia forum.

4. NormG

NormG Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was more hoping to meet other likeminded enthusiasts and start some networking.

5. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That'd be me except I just moved to Adelaide. Get in contact with the Workshop Camera Club; they have an awesome shared darkroom (practically unused at the moment) and a handful of good film people. In particular, look for Greg Bell at the club, he taught me how to print.

6. NormG

NormG Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thankyou very much for that information. A quick review of their website doesn't reveal they have a darkroom and still use film.

I have also tried to contact Nicole McGrade via but haven't as yet received a reply.

7. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There are very few in the WCC actively using film - I was the only regular exhibitor of analogue prints at their competitions and the only user of the shared darkroom in three years - but there are plenty of old-timers who still know how it all works despite since moving to digital and who can get you started. You can just rock up on a Wednesday night, introduce yourself as a visitor and check it all out. There is/was a Film SIG (special interest group; in parallel with the portrait/birding/sporting/nature/etc groups) and about 5 others joined it but I could never get them to participate in anything despite having a regular crowd on the club outings that wanted to look at my RZ67. One guy bought an RB67 while I was there, so he might be doing a little more, I don't know.

If you do go, tell Tom, Frank & AA (the birders) I said hello!

They were considering moving to new clubrooms, which would mean the loss of their shared darkroom. That would kind of suck for the club (many of the members would disagree though), but it means that the equipment would be available for sale for a song.

I actually got an as-new LPL C7700 from eBay in Perth, local pick-up, $60 including two awesome lenses - so the deals are out there. I suspect that CES (Stirling St, Northbridge) would have a bunch of spare enlargers floating about in their second-hand shed. Much of their second-hand stock is not displayed or even indexed, but if you go in and ask for their second-hand film-gear person (he's about 70, forgot his name sorry), he knows what there is and he's very helpful. I suspect that they'd be very glad to shift an old enlarger for a good price as they're getting hard to give away. 35mm-only enlargers are practically toxic/free, so make sure you get something that can do medium format too and then you will be able to either move up a size and/or sell the enlarger in future.

8. NormG

NormG Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Its a shame more people can't appreciate the textured, lifelike quality that film is. Reading this forum there are plenty of us out there but WA for some reason doesn't have much interest.

I have spoken to CES about enlargers and at the time i was told they only had one...and it was $1000.. I might enquire with them again.

I'm definitely looking for a medium format one!!

9. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My LPL (6x7 dichro) will be for sale soon, once I know my new 4x5 enlarger is going properly, but in Adelaide. Shipping would be about as much as the enlarger is worth, though it is as-new.

10. NormG

NormG Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I gave them a call the other day and they said they do have MF enlargers in an old storeroom. Although he did say it would be a lot of work to dig them out and the place was a health risk...... They must have stuff piled to the roof! I'd love to have a look through there..

11. Peter St

Peter St Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    NormG
    Have you had any luck with your dark room equipment yet?

12. mrbishi

mrbishi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Just thought I'd pop in and say hi! I'm new to APUG and live in Perth.

I shoot 4x5 and 120 and do my own developing. In the middle of renovations but will soon have a dedicated space to setup my enlarger for some printing.

Theres a few of us over in the flickr group Film Photographers of Perth who get together occasionally - http://www.flickr.com/groups/1139712@N24/

13. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi NormG, stumbled across this post by chance. I don't have an email from you. Please phone me if you are still interested. Nicole

14. Mike de Velta

Mike de Velta Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Perth lad

Hi guys,

Very new to this forum, just diggin in to film using a Mamiya 645 100s, any time or local resources to get me crankin would be greatly appreciated. A photo camp would be awesome with spring coming heh?

I don't develop my own negatives just yet but would love to spend a day with someone who does. I just scan my 120 negs and touch up in PS.

Anyway, just waving my flag and saying hello :D

HaPPY sHOOTING :wink: