Filter factor

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by BMbikerider, Sep 30, 2012.

1. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have just found my old Cokin IR filter with a gel type filter that I last used eons ago. It is one of the opaque type and I cannot remember what filter factor I used when it was last used. I have one cassette of Ilford SFX in the fridge about a month out of date and a few rolls of Rollie 400 IR which are about a year out of date so I would like to use them before they get any older.

I seem to remember I gave it 4 extra stops than the meter suggested is that about right?

2. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For IR it isn't quite that simple as there may be more or less IR radiation, independent of what your visible-light meter is telling you. There should be guidelines with the film I suppose? In any event, make brackets of a couple of stops.

4. Maris

Maris Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For Ilford SFX200 behind a Cokin IR filter I just set EI=6 on my spotmeter, measure the scene directly, transfer the settings to the camera and shoot. I get a high proportion of usable exposures and a few surprises. Infrared is, after all, a bit of a visual lottery.

5. Denverdad

Denverdad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If it is a Cokin 007 filter, according to my notes its spectral response should be similar to a Wratten 89B, Hoya R-72 or a B+W 092. As such any recommendations you read for those filters should be close. I can't tell you how to expose using SFX200 specifically, as I only use Efke IR820 film. But the above filter equivalences should be good for making cross-comparisons if you happen to find recommendations for using them with SFX200.

Jeff