Filter for Hasselblad 500 C/M

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Zane Yau, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Zane Yau

Zane Yau Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry to bring up this issue again but I haven't found the answer with my searches and thought that you guys may be able to help

I own an old 500 C/M and the following lenses:

1. Planar 80 F2.8 T*
    2. Distagon 50 f4 T*
    3. Sonnar 150 f4 T*

I have never used any filters on them as I thought I had to get Hasselblad filters which are really hard to get for me

I recently found that there are ebay adaptors which I can make use of my normal screw mount filters for my Nikons.

But the issue is I don't know what size are these lenses as in their diameter... they are not written on any part of the lenses.

I have visited the Hasselblad website and found these info:

1. 80 lens Ø60
    2. 50 lens Ø70
    3. 150 lens Ø60

But these are new Hasselblad lenses and I am not sure whether my older lenses have the same diameter. what do you guys think?

Also does Ø60 means the same thing as the B60? as there are some B60, B70 to 77mm filters on ebay...

Also strangely, my 150 f4 takes a screw 67mm Hoya filter and it's not the same bayonet design...

sorry to be so clumsy... please let me know if i haven't explained clearly...

Thanks for any input!

Zane

2. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, that means the same as Bay 60. Not sure about the 150 f4, mine takes a Bay 60. You can get Bay NN ---> NN adapters. Make sure you get one that is larger so you don't vignette.

3. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You don't mention which lenses you have - other than focal length. Use a ruler (metric, or course) and measure the diameter of your lenses - especially the 80 and 50. I believe the filter size was different between "C" and the "CF" lenses. On the 80mm, I know the CF has a B-60 but seem to recall that the "C" is B-50.

4. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Hassy, and here's what I did:
    I bought a "Bay60 to 67" converter. This is basically a ring that fits into the bay (short for bayonet) slot at the front of the Hassy lens. I can now use normal (ie, screw mount) filters on my lens.

There is a chance that your 150 actually already has this converter on it, since otherwise there is no way a screw mount filter would stay in place.

I would never even consider buying bayonet filters for my Hasy lenses. They are pricey and hard to find. Hope this helps! :smile:

5. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, he does list this... that circle with a slash means 'diameter' of the lenses, so he has 2 lenses that are 60mm in diameter and one that is 70mm. At last my years as a draftsperson come into use! :D

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Err, ummm... really? That info came from a web site. As a draftsperson you probably realize that data from a ruler would be better to rely on. :smile:

7. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, now... not necessarily. :wink: Is the ruler calibrated? to what standard? what is it made of? what is the last date of calibration? So... not all rulers are kings. <lol> :D

8. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What????

9. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The older lenses used as follows:
    50mm-Series 8 if you remove the retaining ring or, if it's missing it's 67mm.
    80 & 150 used bay 50 filters.
    This assumes they are "C" lenses.
    New ones he's got listed.

10. Zane Yau

Zane Yau Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks guys. My 80 and 150 are C lenses so they should be B50... i will have a go with getting the B50 to 52mm or 55mm adaptors (other sizes not available from the ebayer)

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Zane,

Measure the lenses!

C lenses use Bay 50 filters.

My lenses are CF[50mm,80mm, 150mm and 250mm] and all of them use a Bay 60 filter. And will take a 67mm filter with an adapter.

some later versions use a Bay 70 filter.

You can buy used Hasselblad filters in excellent condition at KEH.com, Samys, and Bel-Air Camera.

Steve

12. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Quite the contrary.

The designations used by Hasselblad are nominal, not real values.
    Use a ruler on a bayonet 60 lens, and you would start believing that it would rather need a bayonet 70 filter than a bayonet 60 filter.

So to avoid even greater confusion, avoid using a ruler.
    :wink:

13. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I stand corrected. Thank you QG. Hasselblad rounds down: 57 = 50; 67 = 60.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2008
  14. safotos

safotos Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Would you all recommend the method above (step rings and screw filters) of applying filters vs the bellows mounted holder (not sure of the actual term for it...I was given a 1972 500CM with the 80mm f/2.8 and this bellows, filter holder-thingy)?

15. aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format