Filter for Kodak HIE?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Trey, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Trey

Trey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey guys, I've got a couple of rolls of Kodak HIE in my refrigerator which actually have an expiration date of last month. But I'm hoping they're still good.

My question is, will this filter work? Sorry to post an eBay link, but I think this forum's fast enough that I'll get a reply before the auction goes away. From the description;

I'm just wondering about the 720nm specification. Is that what I need? I've never shot infrared film, but I would like to before I can't get any more HIE.

While I'm at it, can anyone point me to any information on metering this stuff?

2. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't really know about this filter - I've only used a red #25 with HIE.

A great book to find is Laurie White's on infrared - Amazon has it. Some suggest to set the ISO at 200, put on the filter and let the meter handle it, while others suggest using f16 at 1/125 for anything sunny. I've tried both and can't really tell which is better in more situations. I'd suggest start with one of those and bracket. You never really know what you'll get.

3. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    All you need is a deep red filter (either a #25 or a #29) with HIE. You don't need an expensive infrared cutoff filter. The regular red filters will give you full-on IR insanity with black skies and white vegetation as HIE is very sensitive to IR.

I make a meter reading with a handheld meter (ie, not through the red filter) at ISO 25 or ISO 50. If you meter through the red filter, probably ISO 100 or 200 as mentioned above.

4. IOS

IOS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The filter that you are looking at is for a digital camera. the filter that you want is a 25a red.

5. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That filter would also be useful for the lower sensitivity IR films like Ilford SFX, Maco/Rollei IR, and efke IR820. And you could use it with kodak HIE. It's just that you don't need it, as a red filter works fine because of the HIE's high IR sensitivity.

I don't know about the quality of it though; anybody use one of these off-brand ebay IR filters?

6. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can use that filter, but the effect is pretty extreme. Not to mention that you can't see through it to focus, unless you are shooting with a RF. The red filters as recommended above are most likely what you want to go with. You can also use a yellow filter for a more mild effect. The straight IR filters are a lot of fun in gel form over a flash, great for shooting in bars or at nighttime street festivals, the flash is barely noticeable. Very cool. This film looks great in Rodinal BTW.

7. DarkroomExperimente

DarkroomExperimente Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    oooooooooooh I never thought of that...filter over flash so you can actually SEE through the lens

8. Trey

Trey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Dang, so the Hoya 25A I've had all along will work? I'm an idiot.

9. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It's not entirely obvious...

The reason you'd probably prefer to use the #25, as pointed out, is that you can actually see through your SLR (or view camera) to frame things up if you're using it. The opaque filters (and films requiring them) are a pain because of the need to replace them all the time (except with a rangefinder).

10. naaldvoerder

naaldvoerder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Never thought of this.... What will the results be like? Like using HIE with red filter on the lens?

Jaap Jan

11. Jim Bradley

Jim Bradley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a 25A on a Nikkor 35mm f2 on a Nikon F3. I meter at 400 ASA (sometimes bracket at 200 ASA) and get good IR "effect".
    I have a shot in the Postcard Exchange Gallery that shows this:
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=19746&ppuser=5775
    Note the black sky, lighter trees (evergreens, deciduous sp? show even lighter foliage)
    JGB

12. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use an Ilford gel infrared filter cut to size and taped between the film rails of a Nikon FE.No problem focusing as the filter is behind the lens.

Mike

13. Trey

Trey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm doing some nudes this weekend and thought I might run a roll of HIE through while I'm at it. So I took one of the rolls out this afternoon for some extensive* testing to get ideas for exposure and all that.

I think my X-TOL has gone bad, so it looks like I'll be using D-76, any suggestions?

*Meaning I drank a couple of beers and shot some crap and took notes. Beer is important in these processes.:wink:

14. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used Sprint with HIE with good results. Instead of what the Massive Dev chart suggests, I've used 1:9 for 12 min at 68F (the chart has 1:4, which really didn't work for me).
    There are a couple of suggestions for D-76.
    http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

15. DarkroomExperimente

DarkroomExperimente Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    are you going to use a separate camera for the HIE?

remember the load/unload in the dark thing...or do you have a changing bag?

16. Trey

Trey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll be shooting at my apartment, so I can just run into the bathroom and load/unload the film.

When I loaded my test roll today, I went in there and put the camera and film into a black paper bag as well, just to be safe. I don't have a changing bag.

17. Trey

Trey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    @Winger Thanks, that's a cool site!