Filter Storage Options Sought

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by perkeleellinen, Mar 6, 2011.

1. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Please see the photo below, these are the rear bayonet filters which fit the Nikon 16/2.8 fisheye as well as the 15/3.5 ultrawide and the exotic 13/5.6

Nikon confusingly calls these 39mm Rear Bayonet Filters and they shouldn't be confused with the 39mm Rear Filters for long telephotos - it took me ages to find the red because of this. I'm looking for a good way to store them. Most filter wallets are far too big for these little things as they're designed to accommodate filters up to around 80mm. Nikon actually makes a special pouch called the "CA-2". There's one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220741674222&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

£24 shipped is a little expensive, so I'd like to hear any suggestions as to how I could store these is a safe way. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Lowepro filter wallet

4. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Matt - That may work, I'll have to dig one out and see if there's room before perhaps lining it with foam.
    Ben - Any particular model?

5. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might have a look in Boots or Super Drug, I think there's women's make up cases that might be ideal. Also Poundland :D

Ian

7. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might pay a visit to your local fishing tackle shop. I dealt with this problem (small diameter, fat filters) by buying a case used for fishing flies. It is made out of closed cell foam with a fabric covering. I did some -- uh -- "creative" work on it with a temperature controlled soldering iron. I then cut some craft foam and glued it in with rubber cement to create pockets for the filters.

It hasn't seen much use yet, but so far, so good. I have some doubts about the concept of magnetic catches, but they seem to work. Larger sizes are available, but this seemed about right for me. Here in the US, LL Bean carries them, I think it was about $10.

Attached Files: