Filter Won't Come Off

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Brickbird, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Brickbird

Brickbird Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    After purchasing a 355 G-Claron earlier this year I put a 77mm Heliopan yellow filter on the front. I recently tried to unscrew it and it has apparently decided it had found a home. It will not come off even with a delicate try with a huge pair of pliers. Anyone out there with a solution?

2. jovo

jovo Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. jovo

jovo Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, that link doesn't seem to work. Go to the Freestyle site, though, and type in "filter wrench" in the search box and they'll come up.

4. Brickbird

Brickbird Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Jovo--Thanks for the tip. I will try it asap! Brickbird

5. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rubber washing up gloves.

6. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Rubber gloves might work but your distorting the ring where you grip. If you can find some inner tube or the flat rubber pads used for opening bottles try this. Lay the rubber flat on a table, take the lens filter down and just press into the table while unscrewing. It works most of the time. If not go to the filter wrench. Works for me, well most of the time.

7. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A little 3-in-1 oil - works everytime. Just a drop on the thread, wait a second or two and it will twist right off. I have a Tiffen Warm Polarizer that sticks everytime I use it, and everytime I do, I use this oil.

8. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a dental dam (a thin, flat sheet of rubber) for this. It works like a champ! This also works well for removing lens groups from shutters. Talk to your Dentist, or you can order them from Microtools.

9. Jeffrey A. Steinberg

Jeffrey A. Steinberg Member

take a rubber band and wrap it around the filter so its tight (get the right size). Grab and turn. I had same problem with Zeiss lens for G2 and the camera store showed me that trick. Worked in 5 seconds.

--Jeffrey

10. TheMissingLink

TheMissingLink Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The best for these troubles I have ALWAYS with me and so surely you will have too, really low budget:
    Take your lether belt, rap it carefully around take the loose ends short with your hand and you have a perfekt lever ... test it with a can with a screw cap ... it even works with the oil filter at my old Chrysler;-)

Horst

11. wiseowl

wiseowl Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My own method for stuck filters is to press the palm of my hand over the filter and turn. If I have a rubber glove to wear so much the better, if not then I have a filter to clean!

12. paul owen

paul owen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Try a mouse-mat! I carry one in my pack and as long as you can put it on a flat surface the reverse side is spongy and works a treat!

13. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    a thing that always works for me, is something that most of us have with us at all times, and that is the rubber sole of a shoe, I regularly have to use the sole of the shoe when out shooting to remove a filter, it is a delicate operation though, stand on one foot, raise the other balance on knee, the firmly and evenly push the filter ring to the sole of the shoe and a quick twist of the wrist and wa law, works ever time..

Dave

14. roy

roy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have you removed it yet ?

15. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If it is a chronic problem, I found the a little powdered graphite rubbed on the filter's threads with a finger keep the filters turning smoothly. Not too much, but rub around the length of the filter and you should have much better results in the future.

- Randy