Filters for a Durst M605

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Mike Kennedy, May 25, 2006.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After a 2 year hiatus from the darkroom I will finally reenter "The Wet Side" this weekend. Can't waite!
    Just thinking about the type of filtration I used in the past. My standard routine is to mount Kodak multi-grade filters "under the lens". Am I loosing anything by not purchasing a set of filters to mount "above" the lens?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The below-the-lens filters work, but their condition can have a dramatic effect on the quality of the image. Using filters that fit above the negative will enable you to get the full quality from the neg and the lens.

3. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you keep the below-the-lens filters clean and scratch-free, you won't see the difference. The are actually better fort split-grade printing or filtration changes, because they can be changed with less 'disturbance' to the setup.

4. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just make sure they're clean! Personally I use above lens filtration, even for split-grade techniques. BTW, good to see you here on APUG Ralph. Really enjoyed your collaboration with Chris Woodhouse in ' Way beyond monochrome'. Regards, Blighty

5. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the kind words. Chris and I aim to please and succeed occasionally.