filters for large format wideangle lens

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by djkloss, Jun 14, 2009.

1. djkloss

djkloss Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd like to get a screw in filter for my Fujinon 65mm f/5.6 lens. The set up I'm using doesn't work. I bought a Kodak gelatin filter and it just flops around in the wind. Can the standard filters be used (the round ones for 35mm SLR camera lenses) on a large format lens or will there be too much vignetting? What about an adapter ring and an oversized filter? I'd like to get some ND filters to slow the water, but can't find any info on my lens. I also don't know what size filter it takes. I can't see that it's marked anywhere on the lens.

Anybody out there use ND filters (not center filters) on their wide angle lenses?

Thanks in advance!

Dorothy

2. Paul Armstrong

Paul Armstrong Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A STUPID, quick question: does the filter size appear on the inside of the lens cap? I had the same lens(At least I think I dumped it). You are correct, Vignetting is a big problem especially if you try the Oversized filter & Adaptor ring. I taped(Tape at the corners(Black Photographic or Gaffers) the gel filter to the inside of the lensboard. Actually I had to make the tape long and actually tape each corner to the side rr of the lens causing the gel to "bow out" which made no difference, image wise but certainly solved the wind problem, the filter size problem and saved$$$.

3. Paul Armstrong

Paul Armstrong Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What was the Nikon ND filter you mentioned buying? Size, density?

4. Paul Armstrong

Paul Armstrong Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Don't be bashful about trimming the gel to fit the inside of the Wisner Lensboard if there is a clearance problem. You may have to have a dedicated gel or two for that lens.

5. djkloss

djkloss Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Paul, I never would have thought to look on the inside of the lens cap! It is 70mm. I have some 77mm Nikon filters for my 35mm SLR. I can't seem to picture your setup for taping the gel to the inside of the lensboard. Wish I had a picture of that. It's hard to tell if it's vignetting or the natural gradation of dark to light where the foreground of the water goes back to the horizon (foreground being darker). If it's vignetting, maybe a center filter is in order. Ahhh the challenges of a new lens!

6. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Consider putting a filter on the back element, if it is smaller. There are also the 4x4 and larger gels that you can tape or position inside your bellows, behind the rear element.

Here is a (G)ND trick: you can wave a black object (e.g. dark slide) in front of the lens to act as an ND, and move it selectively over one part of the frame to act as a GND. LF is particularly well suited to this trick because you can see what you're getting on the ground glass. So what you can do is hold your makeshift GND in front of the lens, note the effect on the ground glass, and make chalk marks on the lens to guide you when you take the shot. Of course, it is imperative to keep your "filter" moving, to avoid sharp boundaries on your negative. It's basically dodging during the exposure.

7. djkloss

djkloss Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Keith,

I think I found a use for the gel filter. I have a 14mm Nikkor for my SLR which takes behind the lens filters. Maybe I'll cut it down and use it for that. I think I'll experiment with the 67-77 step up ring and see if that works for the 4x5.

thanks for your help!

Dorothy

8. djkloss

djkloss Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Paul, I have to look and see what filters I have. I have a 77mm Nikon polarizer (nice!) and I know I have a 77mm 1000X (10 stop) B+W, a 1stop B+W, and a 4X 2stop Promaster. Also a split density 77mm B+W. I use these on my SLR.

The gel filter is Kodak and is an ND 2.0 6 2/3 stop. A 4stop ND would probably be good, but my funds are a little low right now.

Are you looking to sell?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2009
  9. Maris

Maris Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use ordinary screw-in filters on large format lenses all the time. The key concept is that screw-in filters will vignette the image circle but if the the camera movements don't put the film format near the edges of the image circle your picture won't be vignetted.

10. RJS

RJS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lee makes a filter holder held on the lens with a rubber band. It uses their largish gel filters and works quite well with the extremely short 9I.E. 65MM, 58MM and shorter lenses.. Holds the gel right against the front of the barrel, so no vignetting.

11. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have the exact same lens & I use normal screw in glass filters. Mostly with 95mm filters with an adapter ring. It works perfectly, but if you use any extreme camera movements and it will quickly vignette.

Gary

12. bvstaples

bvstaples Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would suggest investing in a Lee Holder and a wide angle mounting flange. They are pricey but in the long run they'll pay off. The holder holds 100mmx100mm resin, poly, or gel filter, and what I like about it is that you can stack filters: you can stack several ND filters to get 6-8 or more stop changes.

13. jbbooks

jbbooks Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You ought to look at the Lee system. Their graduated neutral density filters, in both hard and soft graduations, are particularly useful. Also, their system uses adapter rings to allow you to avoid having to duplicate filters to accommodate different lens filter thread sizes. This allows you to have one set of filters that, with an adapter ring, can be fitted to any lens you have up to 95mm. Actually, in some cases, with more adapters, slightly larger than that--depending on the lens.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jbbooks

jbbooks Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Obviously, I type too slow.

16. Don12x20

Don12x20 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    In a pinch - either with no stepdown ring or if the stepdown ring causes vignetting, you can use tacky (not real sticky) tape, like the blue masking tape, to attach a larger diameter glass filter to the lens.

17. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the gel filter is flapping in the wind, you can just tape it down. You are using it in a gel filter holder, right? I would also use a lens hood, which in these cases would also double as a wind shield.

Reminds me of one time in which the wind knocked over my Sinar C and Bogen 3051. It was up on one leg and about to hit the deck, but luckily I caught it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2009
  18. djkloss

djkloss Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The filter holder is made by Eastman Kodak and is made of wood and holds a 4x4 filter. Funny how "it's all I have" can so quickly turn into "I need more!" :surprised:

19. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe you can rig a frame for the edges of the filter so that it fits more tightly into the slot on the holder. You could use one of several materials, such as card stock, brass shim stock, wood veneer strips, or even just thin strips of tape.

20. djkloss

djkloss Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    good idea

21. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks...but I have an even better one (I think): Put the shims into the slot itself, instead of onto each filter. Wooden strips might be a good starting point. Balsa is sold at hobby/train stores in thin sheets of various thicknesses, or you can get plenty if you buy a $1.00 toy glider and use the leftover scraps. Then you get a cool toy airplane as well!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2009
  22. Paul Armstrong

Paul Armstrong Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Lee Filter Holder

Do you have a name/Model Number?

23. michael9793

michael9793 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    The nice thing about the lens holder RJ is talking about you can put them on the inside part of the lens and most times the holder will fit inside the camera and lens board. I do that with my 8x10 that way no glare and reflective properties happen. they also say that having the filter inside is better. not sure why i don't see any difference.
    m andersen

24. djkloss

djkloss Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    don't you have to take the lens off the camera to do that & wouldn't you have to refocus - ?

Is there such a thing as a combination yellow filter + ND?

I'm still working on this.

25. djkloss

djkloss Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul, the one I bought that was flopping around was the Kodak Wratten ND 2.0 (6 2/3 stops). I like the strength of this just don't know which brand. I'm thinking about the Cokin system. Sometimes I shoot in the wind and need stability. With a bag bellows it's (the wind) not a problem. I got the 67-77 step up ring, but I don't think 77mm is big enough. still vignetting.

26. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Wratten for all it's floppiness is going to be much cleaner optically than the Cokin.