Filters for Nikon FE2

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by mporter012, Jan 5, 2013.

1. mporter012

mporter012 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I need to get some filters for a Nikon FE2. I understand filter usage, but know nothing about brands.
    I shoot black and white fine art landscapes.

Thanks for any advice -

2. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What size? It depends upon lens filter size. Camera body has nothing to do with it. Start with a deep yellow #15 and green and red filters.

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To save money you might have to get a step up ring.

Jeff

4. Ap507b

Ap507b Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you are using AI/AIS Nikkor lenses then a 52mm filter thread is quite common. I use a Nikon Yellow Y48, a Hoya orange filter (can't remember the grade), a red Nikon R60 & a circular polariser.This Ken Rockwell page gives info on filter effect for B&W film. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm

When buying filters look for ones that are multicoated if you can. Also avoid cheap no brand ones.

5. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tiffen is a good affordable brand, been around for a long time.

6. mporter012

mporter012 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I currently have Nikkor 28mm ais and 50mm AF - Non D.

7. burchel pierce

burchel pierce Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have three Filters I can sell you for $20.00 plus shipping,they are all Nikon brand in new condition,No scratches or marks of anykind, they are x1 green,y52 yellow and r60 red. all great for Black and White.

8. burchel pierce

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    all 52mm

9. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hoya HMC filters (multicoated) are excellent and not really expensive. The two lenses you mentioned are both 52mm filter size, I believe -- I know the 28mm is. I recommend orange as a good black and white filter -- and don't forget a polarizing filter, since it's great for cutting haze and really bringing out the clouds. (Yes, it's not just for color.)

Just saw the post above -- $20 for three Nikon filters is a really good deal.

10. burchel pierce

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also have a nikon polarizer in excellent condition with a nikon hn-12 lens hood that works with it. I can let you have for an extra $10.00. Like Nick says, they do work great for cutting haze and bringing out clouds in Black And White.

11. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I used to use Tiffens. Most of them are un-coated and very inferior to the better coated, Hoya's, Marumis, etc.

12. dorff

dorff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A set of UV/IR, deep yellow, red and green filters is probably sufficient.

B&W (Schneider) filters are good, and Nikon filters too. Hoya HMC and Tiffen multi-coated filters are also good. I tend to find that on the shorter focal lengths it makes less of a difference, but on longer focal lengths, 100 and above, you definitely have to watch what you put in front of a lens.

If you are going to shoot a lot of landscape, then it is certainly worth looking at a set of gradual grey filters. I wonder at your lens choices too - they will be limiting for landscape work. A 24 and 20 mm lens would be very welcome in your collection, I think. If you stick with manual focus Nikons, then a 20/4 or 20/3.5, and a 24/2 or 24/2.8 will round out your kit nicely. And they all take 52 mm filters, IIRC.