Filters for Street Photography?

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by Sean, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a lot of info regarding filters for landscape, but I was wondering what the approach is for street photography and filters. Do you street photographers use many filters? I plan to use a polarizer if glare is an issue, but am unsure how the others might be worked into street photography when most of the street lacks color to begin with.

2. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I assume you mean for B&W. To find the answer you should take Les's Street Workshop (http://www.apug.org/~conf/street.html). Or use the filter that best meets the needs of the setting -- such as Reds, oranges or yellows for skin or if a polarizer for sky, reflections etc.. and or a ND filter to allow for smaller apetures on bright days.

3. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I never use filters when making street photographs because I often want to have a fast shuter speed to stop movement. Also when working the streets we have to consider responding to events quite quickly, things may happen on the dark side of the street when the camera is set up for the bright side of the street and I have a method of quickly dealing with that. In street photography I've found filters to be more bother than they are worth.

4. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    good advice guys, thanks

5. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I find it really handy to use cokins glass N/D filters that are screw mounted. They come 1, 2 and 4 stop I think. I use the 1 and 2. The screw mount are great because they rotate 360 degrees. when you are in a value range situation theat exceed the film it is easy to rotate the density side of the filter to the brighter side and angle it to emulate the direction of the light reducing the value range to where the film can handle it.

6. manjo

manjo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    filters on a wide angle lens ... not a good idea...

I use a wideangle 20-35 to do my street photography and sometimes 50 1.8, filter on a wide angle is a bad idea imo, the lens itself causes a lot of flare, and having a filter screwed on adds ot the vinetting and flare.

7. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like to use the Cokin A series if street shooting, it is quick and easy to slip filters in and out of the holder to suit the shot (if filters are required that is).

8. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A medium yellow all the time for me!

Cheers

André

9. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I suggest a nice armor plate haze filter for when the irate lady comes after you with a studded hand bag or kids throw rocks.

Be Safe,
    John Powers

10. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Depending on conditions, I often use a medium or light yellow filter for street shooting, or sometimes no filter if I need maximum speed.