filters: single-coated vs multi-coated

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by puketronic, Dec 21, 2011.

1. puketronic

puketronic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm aware that coated filters help reduce flare and all but is there a noticeable difference between the two types when a hood is used and the sun isn't in the frame?

The difference, if any, would be most noticeable in the shadow details?

If it matters: I'm thinking Hoya Contrast filters--B+W is too pricey.

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When a hood is used I have not noticed a difference.

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are considering currently produced filters, the multi-coated versions may be manufactured to better tolerances and of better materials (brass rather than aluminum), due to the fact that they can be sold at higher prices.

4. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since you are placing two other surfaces in the in the image path I would buy the best filters that you can afford.

5. puketronic

puketronic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think I'll stick with multi-coated.

I bought a set of non-HMC Hoya filters to see if I liked the change in tonal relationship for skin tones. I like what they do--I definitely do. I did a quick test by varying the apertures and keeping the shutter speed constant and I notice a lack of sharpness but since my aperture was opening up less detail is expected. I guess I can perform another test by varying the shutter speed but I thought I'd get some input first.

I'm leaning towards multi-coated because if/when I run into a situation where a bright object is in the frame, I'd probably regret having a non-multi-coated filter.

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The differences you see are probably imaginary, but what is really important is that you get whatever filter you think or know will give you the best results. I use both and have never seen a difference - ever. If you don't buy multi-coated but go the rest of your life thinking that you should have bought multi-coated, then your not doing yourself a favor, huh. All it takes is a few more bucks and you'll have satisfaction for a long, long time. Good luck.

7. Hikari

Hikari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format