Finally built a medium format pinhole cam - for an RB67 back.

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by walter23, Jan 21, 2011.

1. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've been holding onto this old 220 RB67 back for a long time planning to "one day" build a pinhole camera around it. I've got a freezer full of 220 Velvia from 1995 that I scored for free, and I figure it's not getting any fresher, so it was time to get this thing done. So today I finally built my second pinhole camera! (third if you count a linhof-style lens board with a pinhole on it...)

After a trip to the art store for some black foam core I figured I would give it a go. I think I'd like to rebuild this in wood, so I can mount a proper tripod mount, and maybe come up with a more elegant way to attach the back (metal clips to hold onto the retaining grooves, for example, though I've really got no idea how to work with metal).

Anyway the build and the near-final foamboard prototype (still needs some black paint and of course a mounted pinhole plate and shutter - will probably just use a sliding foamboard type).

Cutting and stuff.
    [​IMG]

Gluing layers:
    [​IMG]

More layers:
    [​IMG]

More:
    [​IMG]

Attachment (cumbersome and kind of questionable with wood glued to foam core):
    [​IMG]

Back view:
    [​IMG]

I'll shoot a test roll with this and decide if I like the focal length (25mm) and then go ahead and redo it in wood, I think.

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks good to me!

Jeff

3. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've never participated before (in world pinhole day). I think I will have to try to remember to do it this year.

5. heespharm

heespharm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  6. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dude! That is sweet. I need to find another camera and gut that one too. Did it with an old folder. Awesome!

7. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I made a pinhole out of an old 6x9 Agfa box camera. You can get one for a fiver and they are not like rare so no bad feelings when smashing the lens out.

8. rjbuzzclick

rjbuzzclick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    heespharm-I always thought the KO backs would make a great pinhole camera, nice job!

I made a wide angle pinhole camera out of an old folding camera. I removed the leaky bellows and mounted the pinhole in the closed bed door. It works really well, but won't quite cover the 6x9 frame.