Finding a decent bag is a pain!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Shootar401, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My Thinktank Streetwalker Pro has been pulling double duty hauling around my 35mm and RZ kit for about 2 years now. I'm really sick of switching out kits based on what I want to shoot that day. I just pulled the trigger on another Nikon F5, and I need to move up to a bigger bag, possibly the Streetwalker HD. I was originally going to have the streetwalker pro hold my RZ kit, but its also getting a little small after adding an AE prism and a 4th back this week.

Thinking about giving it to my girlfriend to hold her digital crap, and getting a 2nd streetwalker HD, but I'm wanting to see what everyone on here thinks I should be looking at as far as a bag goes. I do a lot of hiking so I would want a backpack type bag. I carry around a rather large and heavy Bogen 3036 tripod, so a bag that I can strap this to would be great!

So far I need to haul around...
    RZ body w/110 & back
    3 extra backs
    Polaroid back
    180mm lens
    50mm lens
    space for a 3rd lens
    Bellows hood in future
    Power winder in future
    AE prism
    meter
    6-10 tools of film
    6 77mm filters
    misc stuff.

2. djhopscotch

djhopscotch Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    do you really need to carry both ae prism and a meter? 4 backs?

3. dnjl

dnjl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If I were you I'd just leave half of that pile at home, but if you must, I'd suggest a bag with an ICU (Internal Camera Unit) system. These are basically padded bags of different sizes which you put into a fairly regular looking backpack or bag. Have a look at the F-stop backpack lineup, from what I've heard they're the best (and most expensive, too).

4. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Carry less my friend. You're killing yourself with optionitis.

Embrace limitation.

5. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just because you own the gear and have paid for it is no reason to schlep all of it around at once and be so exhausted when you want to use it that you can't hold the camera still, the military have known since the middle ages that there's a limit that a soldier can carry for a days march and still be in a fit condition for combat.

6. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At this point you should look for a towable wheeled bag lol. Seriously it will save your back and shoulders.

Try not to over do it, Nice and simple keeps you nimble!

7. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whenever I have a lot of euipment with me, I ususally find that the majority never gets used. Now, I make an effort to bring the minimum, much better.

8. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yeah I re-read my list and feel like I am carrying a lot of stuff. You all made good points, time to rethink my options here.

9. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you really want to carry all that get a backpack. Seriously, all that weight+tripod on a shoulder bag will cause you serious back and shoulder issues in the future. And there is no going back from that when it happens.

I generally do take everything when I travel somewhere but leave most of it in the hotel/car/wherever and only carry with me one body and a couple of lenses. A much better experience for me and whoever is with me.

10. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Old school Domke bags are tough to beat for MF. I got an F2 for 35mm/645/6x6 and the bigger F1x for a Mamiya RB kit. Think you need to travel lighter and/or sort out mobile and studio kits.

11. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I carry a 501C/M, 60mm 3.5, 100mm 3.5, 20 rolls of 120/220, cable release, table top tripod, and either two spare backs or one spare back and a Fuji X100 in the most ratty, gaffers tape covered Domke F3X you have ever seen. I took out the inserts, cut out one of the end dividers and re-attached it to the center as a divider.

I can walk around and shoot all day with that setup, if I need more room, I use my old Domke F2...

12. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Minimalist here:

Mamiya + 43mm and 80mm with carbon tripod. Some film of course. Why all the rest?

13. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Arghhh!

Prism came in today, after mounting it and placing it in the Streetwalker Pro, it sticks out about 3" taking into account my tripod mount. Guess I'll spring for a shoulder bag to fit the body, lens and a spare back & swap out as needed.

14. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you got the message. swap out as needed. That's all you really need to know.

15. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Get an XA and sell the bags.

16. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a good chuckle.

17. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seriously, I schlepped a rb67 with a couple of lens, backs, a ton of film, meter, etc around Paris for a couple of days with a Tamrac Cyberpack 6. By the end of the second day I was looking for things to leave behind in the hotel room. Not to mention that a bogen 3036 is damned HEAVY. That went over my shoulder the first two days. Day three... 65mm lens handheld street shooting, Paris architecture be damned. But.. if you can engage restraint, the cyberpack 6 is a good size for the RB/RZ format. Heck, I've even carried my 8x10 Deardorff in it for day trips.

tim in san jose

18. welly

welly Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you're still looking for a sizeable back to carry all your gear about, I can highly recommend the Tamrac Expedition 7x.

http://www.tamrac.com/5587.htm

I used to fill it with a bunch of digital stuff (Nikon D700, several lenses, filters, light meter, Lee filters grads/holders/adapters etc.). Basically you can fit enough in to give yourself a hernia but it's not a ridiculously large bag.

Anyway, that's what I've been using for weekends.

19. pgomena

pgomena Member

I use a Domke F1x ("little bit bigger bag") for my Hasselblad, 3 lenses, 2 backs, film, meter and accessories. It's a full boat and it feels like one sometimes. A backpack sounds like a good idea for all the stuff you want to carry, if your really want to carry that much all the time. I'm thinking of getting a shopping trolley for urban outings. Light, big wheels, silly looking like I am - a perfect match. I figure I can bungee my tripod across the top.

Peter Gomena

20. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One only needs maybe 2 lenses max, where one lens can be mounted to the body. 3 lenses or "just in case" usually means "I don't have an idea yet" :smile:

21. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My equipment lives in my Pelican cases. When I shoot events, they go in with me. If I'm going out for the day, I have two back packs, one small, one large. I pack what I need and leave the rest in the van. On days when I want to travel really light, I carry my Canonet QL17 with me on a neck strap and put some rolls of film in my pocket.

22. mbsmith

mbsmith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Might I suggest a donkey, or maybe a handcart? Flippin' 'eck that's a lot of gear :wink:

For a backpack, I use a LowePro micro trekker to carry my SQ-A kit (two lenses, one attached, will fit). If I need a 35mm, then it goes around my neck. If I need yet another camera, I wear cargo pants or set a base camp :D

23. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    nd the ultimate, finally!

Lowepro pro messenger 160

Finally a bag that is sturdy, will age very well, can contain many Leicas and lenses (my equipment) or a Xpan + Leica outfit, and it looks Good!