Finding The Right Gear

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by zenrhino, May 21, 2009.

1. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Morning, all.

I was hoping I could get an opinion or five.

I'm looking for the right camera. Not the best camera, not the coolest camera, the right one for me. Since you collectively have used/experienced a lot more of them than I have, I'm hoping your experience can be my sage counsel.

Here are the parameters about my life and art that are the fenceposts:

• In the quality/convenience/price tug of war, I can leave convenience behind. Quality is king here. But I'm not made of money.
    • I don't shoot sports, kids, action. I mostly shoot urban irony (think Erwitt or Parr, with less talent) in the street or figures in a studio.
    • Autofocus is fine, but not necessary as long as I can get a split-image screen.
    • I can process b/w or c-41 rollfilm. Sheet film has to go to the lab. I can print either one.
    • I bump things around a bit. Anything really fragile or tempermental will be in the shop a lot.
    • Ill be carrying this everywhere with me.
    • I have a lovely hand meter and I'm not afraid to use it. Nor am I afraid to use in-camera metering.
    • I wetprint my b/w, I send color to WHCC for lightjet c-printing.
    • I'd prefer something more simple than complex. Less for me to forget that way.
    • I definitely need something that can still be repaired. See above.
    • I like fine grain slow film so having a 1/1billion shutter speed isn't important.
    • Sharpness is very important. Ease of focus + sharp lens would be perfect.
    • Big neg is better than small.
    Hopefully I'm not asking for something that's just all over the place and doesn't exist.

Thanks in advance

2. jmg1911

jmg1911 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Since you mentioned neg size, Pentax 645 - the newest one you can afford. In 35mm, the Nikon F3 hp is hard to beat although I love my OM2n.

3. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Yeah, for 35 you have your basics, Nikon F's, Minolta X's, Canon A's and Pentax K's. For MF, you could score and old German folder like a Wirgin Deluxe cheap and still have a modicum of control (f5.6 to f22 and 1/150 through B). Small viewfinder, hence no split screen, though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2009
  4. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Interchangeble lenses ?

6x4,5, 6x6 or 6x7 ?

The cheaper ones:

6x6: the Rollei's: the Cord's are good, not so expensive and repairable, the Flex's even better, but more expensive
    Mamiya C 220/330 if you want more than one lens on your camera

6x7: the beast, the RB67, or a bit lighter and more expensive the Pentax 6x7

Peter

5. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon F2.

You have to be careful bumping it around ... the things you bump are likely to crack and dent.

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    35mm: Nikon F100
    120: Hasselblad, can be acquired used in good condition a decent prices. built like a tank, easily repaired, many parts and options are available for growth. Large focusing screen. Easy to hand hold. Cheaper than Leicas.

Check out prices of used cameras at KEH.com [See many threads about buying through KEH].

Steve

7. Pete H

Pete H Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was thinking Hasselblad too. Sharp lenses, and ok for carrying around as long as you don't have more than a couple of lenses with you - Zeiss glass & metal is not light!

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is what the car is for. You only take out the lenses you plan to use. You can always go back and either pick up another lens or exchange lenses.

I keep the lenses individually wrapped in lens wraps, and store them in the camera bag.

Steve

9. DannL

DannL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you're a good candidate for a press camera. If you can develope your own B/W now, then all you need is a drum and roller to develope sheet film. Just think, instead of having to wait to finish a roll of film so that it can be developed, you can take that one shot, develope it, and get right down to the business of printing. Of course you can always get a roll film adapter if you're so inclined. Something to consider.

10. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Leica M2 with 35mm lens.

-Laura

11. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an OM1 and OM2n with 24mm/f2.8, 35mm/f2.8, 50mm/f1.4 and 100mm/f2.8. One of those bodies plus all of the lenses (+ some film, a lens cloth) accompany me on my daily commute of 55 miles each way to where I work in the City of London.

I also have a similar set up with a Nikon F100 and D700 (for the autofocus and digital options). These are slightly larger and heavier but still fit in my shoulder bag with enough room for my "iPod Touch" and a book (gotta have some distraction from the crappy train journey).

They are also great travel / landscape / street set-ups (a body and small 'primes' seems less conspicuous than a body with a big, lumpy f2.8 short-range zoom attached).

If I ever get chance to buy another rig, I'd probably go for a Canon T90 and equivalent FD lenses. The T90 would probably be my 1st choice Canon as I had one in the 80's and loved the single or multi-spot metering function.

All the best. Paul.

12. PBrooks

PBrooks Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Fuji GW or GSW 690, simple, metal, sharp(very) and 6x9.
    Mamiya 6 6x6 but compact
    Bessa II or the new Bessa III
    just a thought