fine art photographs of string instruments?

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by patton63, Oct 24, 2013.

1. patton63

patton63 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One of my hobbies, besides photography, is music - specifically, the bass. I am looking to decorate my practice room with nice photographs of stringed instruments (the bass in particular). I have largely been unsuccessful in finding anything nice enough to hang. Any recommendations for photographers working in this area would be greatly appreciated (even better if they are on this forum!).

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. ignatiu5

ignatiu5 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't recall any bass photographs specifically (I could be wrong, though), but I really like many of stradibarrius' black and whites.

I think stringed instruments make wonderful subjects. I need to find some more guinea pigs...erm, friends who play.

3. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought first of Milt Hinton, but I guess the bass would be his least likely subject. The usual suspects for jazz portraiture have done plenty of bass *players*, of course, but usually with more focus on the musician than the instrument. Make your own decor, I'd say, so your instruments can look at their own portraits!

I play bass too, and I've found it's *very* challenging to get a photo of a stringed instrument that isn't a cliche. Ultra-shallow DOF looking down the strings at the bridge? Been done a thousand times. Tight crop of a violin corner and the upper part of an f-hole? Bow on strings with vibration blur? Ditto. I keep producing images that look like the dummy photo you'd get in a department-store frame.

I've never gotten serious about taking it on as a photo project, but it seems like a good one. Obviously the subject has potential.

-NT

4. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Stradibarrius, who is on the forum, makes world class violins and also photographs them. Hopefully he will chime in here.

6. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    May be you can find an fretless fender jazz bass on jaco pastorius or rickenbacker double neck on geddy lee or chris squier. But most beatiful bass is alembic from 25 years ago - new instruments are ugly -. You can contact with alembic and get a stanley clark picture.
    But there are more beatiful instruments in bass range , archilute , theorbo or chittarone lutes pictures. If you interested in most beatiful bass you can find on that earth , its oberlinger organ in st nikolai kirsche at romerberg , frankfurt am main germany.

7. Two23

Two23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Warm light, soft tones, just shot parts of the instrument and then put the photos on the wall. The viewer will assemble them back into the whole bass.

Kent in SD