Fine scratches on 4x5 film

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by BmurphyRZ67, Oct 17, 2010.

1. BmurphyRZ67

BmurphyRZ67 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all. I'm new to 4x5, and I have a question. For practice, I sacrificed a sheet of film to make sure I was getting a handle on the loading process for film backs, and I noticed upon removing the sheet that there are very fine scratches on the rear of the sheet (non-emulsion side). I would think that these would be inconsequential, and I would not see them except under very extreme enlargement. I just want to make sure I'm not botching sheets before I even shoot and develop. I'm very careful when loading, and I make sure that the sheet does not touch the bottom flap of the film back. There is no debris in the holder or on the film. As I said, they're very fine scratches, just a curiosity. Thank you!

2. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fairly normal to pick up light non gouging surface scratches during the film handling process. They won't cause an issue.

3. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To minimize this, be sure to clean out holders before loading, every time. Some use a brush, some a vacuum cleaner or compressed air. I like to shoot some compressed air through the felt light trap. By compressed air, I mean canned, not from a compressor - unless the air from the compressor is absolutely oil and moisture free.