Finished my wooden tripod

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by David Nebenzahl, Jun 10, 2009.

1. David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've finally done it and built a wooden tripod. (A couple pictures here, more at http://www.geocities.com/bonezphoto/WoodenTripod.html).

It's a prototype, "pre-production" model. Not that I plan on actually going into production, but I learned a few things from the mistakes I made on this one. Despite the mistakes, it's surprisingly light and sturdy. I made it from cheap pine (actually some reclaimed boards I've had sitting around for years, so the wood cost me $0.) And it looks really nice, if I don't say so myself. (I plan on using some nice mahogany for the "production" version.) It has pretty much everything you'd want in a tripod except for an elevator crank.

If anyone's interested, I'd be glad to share the gory details of construction.

Attached Files:

2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It shure looks good !

Congrad's on your work well done.

Peter

3. Jim_in_Kyiv

Jim_in_Kyiv Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Congrats!

Looks like it's waiting for a homebrew field camera. Is that next?

4. David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ackshooly, what inspired making the tripod was finishing restoration on a century-old wooden field camera, a Rochester Optical Co. "Universal" 5x8 (being converted into a 5x7). As I said on my page, a wooden camera must needs a beautiful wooden tripod to sit upon. Wouldn't feel right using a modren aluminum or (shudder!) plastic model.

A homebrew wooden camera would also be perfectly appropriate.

5. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    As one who has built two tripods and two cameras (Walnut 8x20 and 11x14) I agree in that you have to have a nice looking Wooden tripod for the nice camera you have restored. Congratulations on the tripod. Make sure to get some pictures of both when they are together. I for one would love to see them. Nice going and enjoy.

Jim