First attempt at processing color slide film????

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by stradibarrius, Nov 21, 2010.

1. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have never tried to process color slide film. I have processed my own C-41 and of course tons of B&W.

Is it difficult? I know Freestyle has kits available.

2. sandholm

sandholm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you have a processor or do you develop your C-41 by hand/tank. Slide is very very temperatur dependent and a processor makes slide processing a piece of cake. I use a Jobo and it works perfect.

3. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've only used Kodak's kit. Got my last one here http://www.libertyphotoproducts.com/product/KODAK-Single-Use-Chemistry-Kit-Proc-E-6-5-L,3442,573.htm

The first film I developed when coming back to film was E-6 and it worked, I was truly amazed.

Since you have done C-41 you understand how to get the temp right, there are more steps to E-6 but it is not "tougher."

I stayed away from the "blix" type kits because it didn't really save me anything, including money, the blix kits actually cost more per liter/roll.

4. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I begun processing slides without any previous processing experience (not even a B&W roll). It worked, so it should not be difficult.
    I have a Jobo CPP-2 which takes care of temperature and agitation. With such a machine, everything is very easy.
    Without a machine you have to find a way to keep temperature constant for around 7' and you have to device an agitation strategy that is perfectly repeatable. Some people develop slides without any special apparatus and they refer satisfaction with the results.

The other baths are easy because they are "to completion" and so if your baths are a few °C less than they should you just prolong the bath.

Fabrizio

5. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a hand tank. I'm going to give it a try and see. Mark I looked at the kit you linked above. Is it easy to process a roll or two with out wasting chemistry???

6. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Though I have a Jobo, most of my E-6 processing has been with standard SS tanks. Just use a water bath, it's no harder than C-41 really.

8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have process color and B&W but never slide film, one of these days I will.

Jeff

9. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mark,

when you first posted this answer, I followed the link and it took me to a kit just like you said...but now it just takes me to the website and there seems to be no kits listed????

10. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    E6 to me is like eating in a fancy restaurant when you're a good cook. It's better to let someone else do it because it's so complicated eventhough the cook could do it. It may be worth it if you have a large batch, for a roll or two, it's not worth it. Take a look at this link:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-6_process?wasRedirected=true

11. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How much difference is there in the end result of slide vs. print film give todays available films?
    Assuming the negatives are to be scanned and printed digitally opposed to needing slides for a presentation.

12. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Strad,
    The Kodak Single Use 5l kit has been discontinued :sad:

13. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Slide film has narrower exposure latitude and underexposed slides tend to be very thin and difficult to scan in my opinion. One of my old Canon FD body's ight meter is out by a half to a full stop depending on the ISO rating (under) and that is enough to make for darker slides if I forget to adjust for it. Should really have sent it out for a CLA already...

14. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you over expose slide film

If you over expose slide film and blow out your highlights, you can't recover them. If you over expose color neg film, you might be able to recover highlight info.

15. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't processed E6 for about twenty years because for what it costs to have E6 processed in two hours at a local pro lab while I do my shopping it's not worth the hassle, and their machines do it better.

16. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the freestyle kit to process E-6 for Stereo slides and about the hardest part is warming up the chemicals. I have never done C-41 so I don't know what it looks like wet, but when you pull your E-6 out of the tank you have to believe that you didn't do anything wrong and just hang it up to dry and just believe it will not look like that when it dries. It is amazing but your film will look like the emulation was unaffected by processing and then slowly it will start to look like slide film with photos on it. Watching the drying process the first time is like watching magic.