First Cameras and Pinholes

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by twalsh341, Jan 12, 2012.

1. twalsh341

twalsh341 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm new to pinhole cameras, I've built a lot (mostly furniture and models before) and teach model making/shop. I also have done a bit with digital photography, mostly for the purposes of documenting my work in the other areas.

The following show some (rushed and crappy) images of two cameras I've just finished. They are made of black foamcore and black tape. The thin one has 3.2" focal length 90 degree viewing angle the thicker one has a 5" focal length and about a 53 degree viewing angle.

The pinholes are as of yet unmounted, they consist of .002" brass shim stock mounted to black matte board (cut via laser cutter) the holes still have to be poked.

Attached Files:

2. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. twalsh341

twalsh341 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Dave and yes I did see worldwide pinhole day and thought I need to get on this. I'm hoping to get the rest of my darkroom supplies build an LED safelight and darkify my bathroom sometime next week. Hopefully I'll be able to figure the process out well enough in time for the big day.

4. twalsh341

twalsh341 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just punched my first pinhole and it was terribly exciting. Again, I'm using .002" brass shim stock glued to matte board carriers. I used the first part of a "Precision Point" pin, it's body measures .0271" in diameter, and as far as I can measure (with a loupe and fine ruler) the diameter of the hole is about .018-.020". I held the hole up to my eye in order to look through it which was pretty amazing. The pinhole effectively turned my eyeball into a camera (I know it is already) but it was still a bit different having an image projected into your eye, than having your pupil be the aperture.

I can't wait until the photopaper arrives.

5. pawlowski6132

pawlowski6132 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Can you make one out of wood?

6. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure can.

(Maybe mine was a bit of overkill, but it was mostly made from scrap offcuts. And it works pretty well.)

DaveT

7. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. twalsh341

twalsh341 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the question was more could "I" make one out of wood, yes, I've got plans to sometime in the near future. I'm working on film holders at the moment too. Which would be a great addition to these things I think.