First film development progress

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by David Goldstein, Sep 22, 2012.

1. All,

This scan is from my very first roll of film that I developed myself.

Hp5 plus shot at ISO 400 with a yellow lens filter - Canon AE-1 Program, 35mm f/2 lens. Development - Ifosol 3, Ilfolstop, Ilford Rapid Fixer, Kodak Photo-flo.

I have three other rolls I developed to look at when they dry.

Fun day.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
  2. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great fun and satisfying isn't it?

3. Yes it is. :smile: Also, developing accomplishes something I have been wanting to do, which is to get more control of my film work.

Here is another scan from this role of film - this pine is in my backyard, and is nearly 60 feet tall, so this is just a section of it.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
  4. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad to hear all turned out well!

5. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The trick to developing your own films is knowing when to stop. It is both quick and cheap - I am now shooting film far too fast - faster than I can good use of the negatives. I shall have to take a few months off soon to actually do something with the negatives.

6. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks like you did a fine job,now you're hooked!

7. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow, I wish my shots with HP5 came out that good! I use Acros the most because I get results I like. My HP5 always comes out with far too little contrast... hmmm... but my Xtol is old...

Time to try a new batch. That's why I just bought a Nikon F3, right? :smile:

8. cepwin

cepwin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great Job!

9. All,

Thanks for looking and commenting. I want to say I really found this forum helpful in getting prepared for developing.

Here's one more, HP5 Plus, with a red filter, same Ilford development products. This is straight off the scanner, no contrast enhancement or sharpening of any kind.

I don't know much about developing other than what I have learned here, but I was impressed with the look of this shot. In fact I am wondering why all these images look so much sharper and contrasty than what I used to get back from the local lab.

Attached Files: