First Film I shot since around 2009-2010.

Discussion in 'Street' started by Zedwardson, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Zedwardson

Zedwardson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I know that they are nothing special, and using a inexpensive C-41 film. But this is the first film I have shot in about five years. In the Industrial areas of Wichita KS. It felt nice getting back to film.

Attached Files:

2. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome back to film! What camera did you use?

3. Zedwardson

Zedwardson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I used a Canon Elan 7N with a 28-105 lens with Fuji Superia 200 film.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

5. ericdan

ericdan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    beautiful! even cheap c-41 film looks fantastic.
    I just got a 150 yen roll of fujifilm c-41. Wonder how that's going to turn out. fuji_100iso.png

6. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Congratulations! The shots look good. Superia is a much better film than the price tag would have you believe. I think it's the number one price/performance film. Colour reproduction in Superia 200 is a bit desaturated but it's accurate and therefore easy to increase saturation if you want.

Superia 200 is actually my preferred film for industrial shots.

7. Zedwardson

Zedwardson Member

Shooter:
    35mm

8. FujiLove

FujiLove Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know how you feel - recently returned to film myself, and wondering why it took me so long. Love the industrial shots.

9. Zedwardson

Zedwardson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks - I plan to return to the Industrial area this weekend with some more film in hand. I need to exercise, and I recently found that a 35mm on a mono-pole will get me walking to find a shot and getting some exercise in better then anything else, as I don't think of it as exercise. That and on this weekend I can go to the rail-yards and wait for trains to come by. Wichita has a very nice industrial area.

And yes, I have not had this much fun in some time. though with the cost of developing film I might start putting C-41 film though the B+W process. :laugh:

10. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can develop C41 at home for 1/10 of the cost of commercial development :smile:

11. Zedwardson

Zedwardson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Noted - I am spending right now something like 4x the cost of the film to get it developed. Of course, I have not really price checked, as the test photos are just going to a minilab who equipment does not eat film for breakfast.

12. Zedwardson

Zedwardson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The right color tone and in bright light even Superia 200 will pop with color. I took these today.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  13. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's a lot, unless it includes good scans too.

A medium size C41 kit equates to about $1 per film.

The sunlit shots look good. I still like to saturate a bit more and I think it half looks like a slide film when you do.

Here's one I did earlier (Superia 200 35mm):
    image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
  14. FujiLove

FujiLove Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's worth giving home processing a go if you already have some equipment, can pick it up off eBay cheap or just want to invest for the future. I've just started doing C41 in the kitchen sink and it is very rewarding, although a bit trickier than B&W. My advice would be to buy a small chemical kit (10 films or so) to see if you like it. Water baths and rotary processors make it easier, but are not essential, but a good accurate thermometer is critical for C41. Expect to make a mess of the first few rolls!

15. Zedwardson

Zedwardson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Very nice photo, it also works well if you make it black and white, as it does shadows quite well.

I went to a local drug store to get developed and a CD, and the first time it was 5 bucks, which to me seemed like it was a fair price. two days later they charged me 10 bucks and that is way to high for no prints from a drugstore. I will be looking around for a good place to develop c-41. I may very well develop my own later, but I am so rusty that I better develop some B&W before going full color.