First go at E6.

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Fordmondeo, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Fordmondeo

Fordmondeo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well this evening will be my first attempt at E6 for about 20 years.
    I have a question.

I have no reliable method of washing the film between steps, certainly not a large tank of 100f water that's for sure.

How bad is trace chemical carry over through the process and will it be evident on first use?

2. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You need a proper wash between E6 FD and E6 CD, and if you use BLIX, there should be a proper wash between CD and BLIX. The wash water doesn't have to have accurate temperature except for that one tankful you wash with right before the next bath goes in.

3. Fordmondeo

Fordmondeo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks, got it.
    I'm going in. Wish me luck.

4. Luckless

Luckless Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How inaccurate is safe, and is there much/any risk of thermal shock issues causing patterns if you're going too wide in temperature difference?

5. Fordmondeo

Fordmondeo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OK. First roll done in the sink.
    No problems asides the film creeping out of the roll during agitation.

I'm a happy man I am.:D

6. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As far as this issue is concerned, there are basically two types of film out there: film which has been properly prehardened by the manufacturer, and film which hasn't. If the film has been made in the last few decades by Kodak, Fuji or Ilford, then film will withstand pretty much any thermal abuse you throw at it. I switched from 50°C hot water to 15°C cold tap water between two consecutive tank fillings, and had no problems whatsoever. As it just so happens, the vast majority of color films are made by the big three, Agfa Precisa is a Fuji product AFAIK. Not sure about Rollei or Lomo products.

The main reason I stated 'last tank filling before next photographic bath should have correct temperature' is not film stability or anything, but that an incorrectly tempered tank will shift the temperature of the next bath, and not necessarily in an accurately predictable manner.