First print after 17 years

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by bshimmin, Oct 29, 2006.

1. bshimmin

bshimmin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi folks,

After a very long hiatus, I've finally put together a humble darkroom, and here's the first print. It's a random grab from a recent rip to Disney World.

I've tried the digiprint road for the past two years, and I've got to say that this is so much more satisfying for two fundamental reasons: 1) the feeling of accomplishment and of creating something lasting and 2) finally (finally) getting a print without a green hue. :smile:

The chemistry details, if anyone's interested include: neopan 400 in Rodinal 1:200 stand dev for 2 hrs, printed on freestyle RC/VC grade 2, developed in fotospeed PD5 1:10.

Oh, I decided to attach the second shot as well showing some ironwork, which has a development quirk (I think I didn't dunk it fully right off).

What a blast!

Cheers,
    brad.

Attached Files:

2. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Nice going Brad. Rumors of your demise those 17 years ago were greatly exaggerated!

3. digiconvert

digiconvert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lovely work , I am just beginning this road and I agree that it beats digi by a mile.

Cheers CJB

4. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome back, Brad!

5. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. ijsbeer

ijsbeer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    welcome back, good to hear someone enjoys the darkside so much again.
    I like the first picture a lot.

cheers

7. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, you'll find there are a number of us who came back after long layoffs.
    juan

8. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome back. I was without a darkroom for a while too. Your pics look good. Keep it up and show us more.

9. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's good to welcome anothe back to the fold. keep up the good work.

gene

10. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I hear ya. I too toyed with the pixel polishing for about a year and a half. Still did film but not the four or five rolls a week I had been doing since 96. Then a week ago, because I got to speak briefly with Alan Ross and it made me think, WTF have I been doing? I got the HBlad out of the bag when I got home, set it on the tripod and let it ream me out for the next couple of hours for being neglectful, mixed some chemicals, and spent all night in the darkroom, which is my living room, but it's always been that way. Next day, I "dropped" my ex girlfriends 3 MP digital off the tower as an experiment then promptly sold my Olympus 8 mp. Freed up some harddrive space on the PowerBook by removing PS but kept elements for use on my new website when I get around to it. I feel so much better.

11. bshimmin

bshimmin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    What a great story Ranger Bob. Now that's taking action. I've still got my scanner around for the larger negatives...after I get the hang of my focomat, I perhaps I'll be brave enough to go all the way and pick up a D2 or some other 4x5 enlarger, kissing photoshop goodbye in the process.

As a postscript on my continuing learning curve, I've now identified what appears to be a chip or some other flaw in the condenser, which puts a lovely spot in the same spot in all of my prints. I'll pull it out for a cleaning tomorrow and try again. Wish me luck!

b.

12. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Now that I don't have a small camera, I am coveting a Leica IIIc with a 50...just for those quick trips to Vegas.

13. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well done Brad. I hope you stay with it ! I have started up again after a 2year lay-off because of hip replacements and it is amazing how quickly the addiction to b&w reasserts itself.

14. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doesn't look like you lost anything after 17 years. Those images look great and I imagine the prints are even better.

Awhile back I got past the whole digital vs. traditional debate. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. What it comes down to is which process brings the most enjoyment in achieving the final result. For myself, I could probably make excellent prints in a more simplified way through digital means, but it always seems like drudgery sitting in front of a computer instead of being in the darkroom.

15. mtbbrian

mtbbrian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I rather envious!
    I am attempting to gather up the necessary items and build a darkroom of my own.
    One day I will be making a post like this of my own.
    Keep at it!
    Brian

16. David A. Belew

David A. Belew Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    Very nice image. I have just now been able to resume film processing after 8 years per my
    MD, provided I only use my Jobo processor and don't have open trays. So, I am developing film and scanning the negs. I am using TMY and Delta 400 in 120 for the time being. Here is an image I developed and scanned a few days ago.

[​IMG]

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dave:

The Jobo tubes, or even Beseler or Unicolour tubes, do a great job on prints as well.

You lose the benefit of seeing the image appearing in the tray:sad: , but you gain the benefit of doing all the "wet" part of the process in the light and with an open window (and in my case, I have a great view through the kitchen window).

The prints are just as exciting (or just as disappointing, if I did them wrong) when they come out of the tubes.

If your concern is standing for long periods of time, I know I have worked in darkrooms using chairs or stools.

Just some suggestions that might help you continue the fun.

Matt

18. David A. Belew

David A. Belew Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Matt,
    I was a Jobo/Ilford/Kodak beta tester for several years and also had a custom (pro-mainly fashion photographers) lab for nearly 20 years before retiring. The exposure to the various chemical processes caused the deteriation of the skin on my hands to the point that nearly anything I touched would peel the skin on my hands, even though I normally wore rubber gloves at the end.

So now I can develop film, scan and print (shudder) with an ink jet Epson 1270. I sold all my Chromega D5 XL's several years ago, plus my 8 x 10 Elwood. I did keep one of my
    Jobo CPP2's and finally fired it up a week ago. MD will monitor me periodically to see how I am doing to make sure I am OK.

Yes, I do have and use a swivel chair--my darkroom is now also my computer room.

19. Earl Dunbar

Earl Dunbar Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This evening I had a conversationwith my wife (2nd marriage for both of us, 4 years ago) about how much I miss the darkroom. She just didn't realize what it meant to me as I haven't had it since we've been married. So I can really appreciate the pleasure you guys are getting out of this.

BTW, Brad, I really like the stuff you're posting on flickr.