First rangefinder

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by zackesch, Jul 15, 2013.

1. zackesch

zackesch Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yesterday I received my first rangefinder. My stepfather handed me a Yashica Electro 35G, along with a Polaroid Land Camera 95. The Polaroid will become a piece for the collector case and will be putting the Electro in action. I picked up a replacement 23A and will see if I can machine a adapter housing. After reading reports of people using them and seeing the image quality, I'm very excited to see what I can do with it.

Any tips for the new owner?

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just one tip from me: go shoot some film and have a good time!

3. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It's simple to retrofit the battery cap with a spring that will allow you to use two CR2 cells to power the camera. Enjoy the Electro 35.

4. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I do not think that you will find a better lens but, pray tell, where did you find that oddball battery? Must you retrofit instead of using the original? That said, it's a shame you do not have manual override or the ability to choose aperture. (Am I incorrect?) - David Lyga

5. zackesch

zackesch Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    David, I machined an adapter out of derlin plastic stock and put in a metal rod for conductivity. Its very sturdy and will last the lifetime of the body and longer.

6. sangetsu

sangetsu Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You can get a proper adapter at Yashica Guy's website, or on eBay. The adapters that allow you to use a 4LR44 or 4SR44 are the best type. Also, make sure the light seals are in decent shape. You can use black yarn and glue it into the seal channels, and use the black felt material from old 35mm film canisters to make the big seal near the door hinge. The Yashica Electro 35 can take superb photos.

7. zackesch

zackesch Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    San, I checked out the adapter, but I didnt want to pay for something that I can make during lunch at work. The adapter is made to be a direct replacement dimensionally using a 4LR44 "23A" battery. I will post a picture of it a little bit this afternoon.

8. zackesch

zackesch Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374345442.342592.jpg

9. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An important one... Remember to remove the lens cap! It's easy to forget, when moving from an SLR to a RF. :smile:

10. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Congrats! A John Goodman seal kit might be in order. Lets hope the thing is working tip top. If not, I know Russ Sisco can do a great CLA...

http://www.camerarefurb.com/Services.htm

No affinity to Russ, just'a happy customer, had a CLA from him for my Lynx and it was perfect

Last, the below guy sure knows his Electro, some good advice here:
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/05/06/is-the-yashica-electro-the-best-deal-in-rangefinder-photography-by-ricky-opaterny/

Be careful if you need to do work, sometimes it is much more reasonable to send a camera off for a CLA than try to DIY....

Yashicas are great cameras! Run'a ton a film thru it!!

Great battery mod! Sure Polygot and the other good mod'rs round here are happy to see your handy work.

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Enjoy

12. one90guy

one90guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great cameras and I second Jon's light seal kits. I have been using his kits since 2008, great instructions and fast to ship. And my only connection with Jon is a happy customer.

David

13. zackesch

zackesch Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Earlier this week, I replaced the light seals on my k1000 and my yashica. I used the black yarn technique and a strip of 2mm foam rubber off an old mouse pad to replace the mirror bumper on the pentax. Its actually an easier fix.

14. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Craft stores sell a material that works very well. Cost just a couple of dollars for a 9x12 sheet. You want the type with the self-adhesive backing.

15. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I worry that your black-yarn-light-seal-technique might bring fibers into your camera. Food for thought. Yarn and camera don't seem compatible...but I might be over thinking this...

16. zackesch

zackesch Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is the link I followed. http://mattsclassiccameras.com/light_seals/
    I remember reading an article where Leica used black wool yarn before using foam rubber. I cannot say from personal experiences, but I have read multiple instances where yarn was used successfully.

17. Fanshaw

Fanshaw Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Is Jon Goodman still selling light seal kits? I heard that he had given up.