first shots from FED2

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by stradibarrius, Jul 31, 2009.

1. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am pleasantly suprised by the sharp contrasty photos this camera takes! I has the !26 lens on it. I used Kodak PX125 and developed it in D76.

What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The tonal quality is certainly quite impressive.

3. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very nice! The Industar-26 is a Tessar clone, which sounds unremarkable, but every so often one turns up that just Has It with regard to tonality---it looks like you got a winner here!

-NT

4. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    These is my first two FSU rangefinders. Are they inconsistent one to another?

5. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    To what are you referring? Soviet quality control was definitely lacking, so there's a lot of sample-to-sample variability in overall quality. This is of course exacerbated by the age of a FED 2.

You'll see reports from time to time of a need to calibrate each lens/camera pair for accurate focus on FSU Leica clones; however, AFAIK this only applies to the earliest samples (early FED 1s). There was much better standardization by the time the FED 2 came out. Compatibility with non-Soviet lenses is another matter -- such pairings usually work OK, but sometimes you'll run into problems.

6. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Fed 2 is a nice camera. There are tons of varieties; you could have a dozen and no two could be the same, if you get the right dozen. The factory was constantly tweaking them. Mine is a 2b.

I sure like mine.