fixer for pyro

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mark, Jan 28, 2004.

1. mark

mark Member

Dummy here forgot to oder fixer when he ordered pyrocat HD. Is regular old kodak fixer okay or do I need a non hardening fixer. I personally don't like the smell of kodak rapid fixer and since I am in the mood to use new things like new film, new (old rebuilt) camera, and new developer does anyone have a fixer they like and why. I will be contact printing the negs if that means anything to developers.

2. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You certainly don't want to use a hardening fixer. The common view is that an alkaline fixer such as TF4 (which can be bought form the Photographer's formulary) will promote the stain you get with this developer. Apparently the smell is not too bad either.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    TF-4 is what I use and recommend. If you want to mix your own, TF-2 and TF-3 from Anchell's _The Darkroom Cookbook_ are options for other alkaline fixers, and just plain hypo isn't too bad either.

4. Doug Bennett

Doug Bennett Member

I bought TF-4 to use when I tried WD2D+. I now use it for all my film and paper developing, and have seen no down side at all. In fiber paper, it is much easier to wash out than a thiosulfate fixer.

5. Dave Mueller

Dave Mueller Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the alkaline fixers are better overall, but it's really the hardener that is an issue with fixers and pyro developer. I use TF-4 also, since I ordered it all at the same time from Photo Forumlary.

6. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have been using Kodak Rapid Fix without the hardner for many years and fail to see any difference when I decide that an alkaline fixer might do better. The guy that got me into PMK is adamant that I should use an alkaline fix but does say my results look like his.

lee\c

7. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

I've used TF4 with PMK but since switched to Kodak rapid fix with out the hardener when I started using pyrocat. I didn't like paying shipping on the liquid chemicals. Haven't noticed any difference. I believe the rapid fix has Gordon Hutching's blessing. Aggie would probably know for sure. Unless, of course, she's in jail again...

8. lallan

lallan Member

At a recent workshop with Carl Weese (developer PMK & Ilford film), he uses Kodak Rapid fix without the hardener. Same result as TF4 but cheaper.

9. gainer

gainer Subscriber

I often use the fixer concentrate as one shot, adding it to the developer at the end of development. It works whether you use TF-4 or Kodak Rapid. I have tested both and see no difference. If the tank is full, empty about 1/8 of the developer and add that amount of fixer concentrate. No hardener, of course,