Fixer runied by heat spell?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by tbm, Sep 27, 2007.

1. tbm

tbm Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I accidentally left a gallon of rapid fixer on my garage floor, outside of my darkroom, during a recent two-week hot spell during which the daily temperature was 100 degrees. Do those of you with vast experience with chemicals think there is a strong likelihood it is now ruined and/or have a method that you can share that will enable me to test its viability? Thanks in advance.

Terry

2. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know that my knowledge is exactly VAST - but I really can't see how those kinds of temps would destroy fixer - ! As with all things - you should simply test. Take a clipping of film and put it in the fixer and see if it clears - I'm sure it will.

3. psvensson

psvensson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had a bottle of undiluted fixer go bad this summer. It was full of suspended solids, even when diluted, and smelled of rotten eggs. Presumably, the thiosulfate had decomposed into solid sulphur and sulfides. I think this the only way fixer goes bad, so those would be the signs.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2007
  4. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was in the same heat spell as you were in and my darkroom (aka garage) was over 100 during the day. Fixer seems to be fine (Clayton Fix)

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've had developer go bad in a heat spell, but not fixer, but it's easy enough to test. See if it clears a film leader in a normal amount of time, and fix for twice the clearing time for most films, three times for T-Max.

6. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fixer becomes cloudy and smells of rotten eggs when it goes bad. If yours is clear and smells like 'fixer' then things are ok.

Of course, rapid fixer with hardener goes bad faster than that without due to the slightly lower pH.

As said above, test it.

PE