Fixing large frame space on Koni Omega Rapid 100?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by wilper, Mar 8, 2013.

1. wilper

wilper Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I got my new toy yesterday, a Koni Omega Rapid 100, and shot a roll and developed right away to check if it worked. Which it did. BUT the spacing between the frames is a bit too large. I only fit 9 and 1/3 frame on a 120 roll.

The space between the frames looks nice and even along the whole strip of film, it's just too large.

Any suggestions for an easy/cheap fix?

I did some math and I would need to shoot well over 50 rolls to justify the cost of sending the camera back, over the cost of just getting 9 frames per roll instead of the intended 10. And considering my GAS I would be surprised if I pass 20. :smile:

Anywhere I can buy a CLA'ed or working film back for the camera? Everything else seems to work fine.

2. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Morning, Wilper,

The only real weakness of the Koni system is in the film backs; irregular or incorrect spacing is not too unusual. Using a gentle film-advance approach can sometimes help.

If you're using B & W film, nine-frames-per-roll isn't a bad way to go anyway, since getting a tenth frame on a standard 8 x 10 contact sheet is a problem.

Konical

3. Denis P.

Denis P. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. whowantstoast

whowantstoast Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have the opposite problem with my Koni - occasional overlapping frames. If you can, get it get repaired, if not you just have to get to know it. I pay close attention to the way I advance the film (or slam the hammer, as I sometimes think of it), and I've figured out that a firm but slow pull works for me. For non-DIY repairs, Greg Weber <gweber@webercamera.com>, is the man for Koni-Omega. He's also very reasonably priced. Good luck - these beasts make incredible images!

5. wilper

wilper Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone!

I'll consider the options.

6. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I've had 2 of these so have an assortment of backs. Some better than others.

Think about what the Toast man says above. I too have noticed my advancing action can effect the spacing.
    If you get too rough it can become sketchy.

I have a Rapid that cant switch backs midroll so I only need one good back.
    These beasts ARE beastly but a little known gem and well worth getting the funk out of them and using them even if
    they do have an eccentricity or three :smile: .