Flare/ghosts or lightleak

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Soeren, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did some shots with the 90mm f/8 Super Angulon on 13X18
    The sun was in the image area
    There is some kind of flaring or ghosts in the opposite end of the image with no straight lines in it.
    one shot was in portrait format the other in landscape and it happens the strange "fog" is in the darkslide end in one image and in the flipping thing end on the other
    I found some light leaks around the flipping thing where the film goes in but they dont seem to have anything to do with this.
    I am sorry I cant post a scan of the pics but can you tell me how the different forms of leaks/ghost/flare will look.
    Is the 90 f/8 Super Angulon prone to flare?
    Kind regards
    Søren

2. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    All lenses flare, the ones with the better coatings just do a good job of keeping better contrast. The amount of flare apparent is pretty much proportionate to the amount of contrast between the exposure and the light source. If it is high enough, you can get flare not just from lens elements, but from light coming back from the camera body, or the film. Lens flare can be anything from an over all fog, foggy blacks, or the familiar aperture shaped burn, or burns (depending on the elements). Other sorts can be totally random in appearance.

Since it is opposite from the point source, it sounds like some sort of flare, not a leak, but you should get those fixed. :smile:

3. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Soeren,
    is it similar to the smal spot to the left of the stump in this picture?
    [​IMG]
    (taken with a Caltar 90 f8 on 8x10)

erie

4. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kind of, but it is bigger it covers most of the lower part of the image.
    Kind regards
    Søren