Flash bracket.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there such a thing as a "universal bracket"? Something I could use on both Nikon & Pentax slr's.

2. nemo999

nemo999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    please clarify - I use a metz 60 , and an old braun 'potato masher ' flash on camera. Both have a plate that will attache to any camera. Shorter plates were made for meduim format cameras.

Do you mean brackets that allow you to rotate the body, and the flash stays directly above the lens regardless of H or V 35mm body orientation?

4. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Various frames that will work with a shoe mount flash and flip the flash for horizontal and vertical image. Screws into tripod socket. Many/most adjust to allow flash to be directly above the lens regardless of camera dimensions.

6. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Mike;

Look also at Custom Brackets. Their rotating camera bracket is very nice. Mine are used with both my film cameras and also my digital cameras.

7. j*n*r

j*n*r Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Agree on Custom Brackets. The quality of the machining and rotating mechanism (roller bearings) is high, and the bracket is designed to sit on a flat surface when not in use, unlike many others that tend to fall over.

8. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're trying not to spend all the $$$ you've got try Porters for a simple "L" bracket with accessory shoe on the handle. They used to be in the $10 range, at today's prices I've no idea.
    Take a look at the auction site for giggles.

9. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do they have a website? If the brackets are that good, I might want to have a look.

10. Edwardv

Edwardv Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  11. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Charles;

Go to www.custombrackets.com I cannot claim that they are perfect, but the Custom Brackets products are well made. I do not like the molded plastic grip on the side, so I took mine off and just use the 3/8 inch thick aluminum for a handle when carrying it. It did take heating the aluminum with a heat gun to get the Loctite to soften and allow the Allen headed screws to back out. It does work well. It also weighs something. My normal working setup with camera and flash mounted comes to seven (7) pounds.