Flash bulbs for Rolleiflash

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Terence, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, y'all inspired me. I've read several of the discussions about flashbulbs and decided to dig out the Rolleiflash that came with my 3.5E "beater".

The only description I've seen (on marriotworld.com) of which bulbs can be used reads, "metal base (Swan, M2) and baseless (European all-glass bulbs)." Which other bulb sizes can this thing use? M3? Press 25? 25?

From what I can find on flashbulbs.com there are "screw base", "bayonet base", and "miniature bayonet base." How do I know which will fit before I try to snag some on eBay?

2. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can use M2 & M3 & AG1 ( with an adapter )

Press 25 / 5 need a larger reflector, and are similar in output to the 2 & 3

The AG-1 is designed for a smaller reflector but can work

The Phillips all glass, baseless bulbs are really pretty but uncommon over here

cress's page is handy: http://www.flashbulbs.com/clearbulbs.htm

The M2: x synch, up to 1/30th. It was designed for box cameras, but you can use them on your rollei at slow shutter speeds.

The M3: x or m synch, up to 1/30th AND m synch only from 1/60 to 1/500

And, of course, M2 B and M3 B are coated with a blue filter to correct the flash to daylight.

Have fun !

3. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What did we do before the internet?

Thank you very much Mr. Cradwell. I shall go forth and flash. As Mel Brooks' Young Dr. Frankenstein said, "Damn your eyes ! "

4. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry to dredge up this thread again, but which adapter would I need to use M3 bulbs. Would it be the "Bayonet to M 2,3,5,25" adapter listed on: http://www.flashbulbs.com/flashgun.htm ? Or is it going to be an obscure adapter found only in the hinterlands?

5. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    M2 and M3 bulbs both use the small bayonet base, which I believe is the type of socket in the Rolleiflash. The AG1 would require an adapter. There are also adapters to allow use of M type bulbs in flashes designed for the larger bayonet, and to allow bayonet bulbs in flashes designed for screw bases. AFAIK the adapters all go in one direction, allowing use of the smaller (and later introduced, for the most part) bulbs in the larger (and often older) sockets.

6. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The socket in my Rolleiflash is about 9/16" in diameter, and has two grooves for "buttons" (for lack of a better term) on the sides of the bulb base. The M3 bulbs I picked up (still in sealed original packaging) have a base diameter of a little over 5/16" and no side "buttons".

7. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Apparently I was looking at the wrong Rolleiflash manual. You do need a mini-bayonet to bayonet adapter, which is what Cress is describing. The screw base bulbs are household size (edison E26). AG1s are smaller. You might drop Cress an email to be sure of what you are ordering.

8. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. The only manuals I've found online either don't say what bulbs it takes or say M2, which look just like my M3 bulbs.

9. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think we looked at the same manual. I have both M2s and M3s on hand. The base and overall shape are the same.

10. gordrob

gordrob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It sounds like the flash uses the larger 5 or 25 size bulbs and you will need an adaper with the two small "buttons" on the side to use the smaller M2 and M3 bulbs as well as the AG1 bulbs. These adpaters are around but you will probably have to look in someones junk box to find them. They have the bayonet base and a reduced receiver for the bulb with a portruding spring to release the M2 or M3 from the adapter. There is an example on EBAY
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30030&item=3867986220&rd=1
    It is the funny little little silver thing (two of them) on the left. They came in two designs - one for the M bulbs and one for the AG1 bulbs
    Check out the info on the Graflex site at
    http://www.graflex.org/flash/smaller-bulbs.html
    There is a good explanation of the different size bulbs in this site.

Gord

11. aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't forget you will most likely need a new battery for your flash. Any Radio Shack store can ORDER them for you. Look up the battery on-line, print it out and give it to the clerk. I just picked up some 508 15v for my small AG-1 flash units. Last year I tried using the Rolleiflash and I got a fresh battery for it from the Shack.

Good luck!

12. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Radio Shack actually had the 22.5 V in stock. I was shocked (pun intended).

13. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found some bulbs labeled " PF 3 (Class M) ", that appear to be the correct size, and seem to match the M2/M3 description mentioned above (or are almost all flashbulbs Class M by dint of their length of exposure?). Anyone know if there are other bulbs with this same size, etc?

14. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let me "enlighten" you a bit more... Radioshack.com is a good, quick source as is Midwest Photo.

Don't you wonder how long these batteries have been sitting around the shop/warehouse??

15. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The battery definitely has a "vintage" look (very 1950's fonts), but seems to have a charge