fledgling pinhole photographer

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by trudee yama, Aug 8, 2006.

1. trudee yama

trudee yama Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi,

Found pinhole photography about a month ago and love it. How does one determine if the picture is good, average, or down right terrible. I'm taking these pictures with my 4x5 large format camera, developing my own negs., and print black and white. Is there a "master pinhole photographer" book? Some of my pictures are sharp and some are "fuzzy". Contrasts cover the spectrum.

Thank you for your comments,

Tru

2. CarlRadford

CarlRadford Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An interesting site is Jan Grepstadt. Some of the information may be trivial, but some is excellent. A site with good technical information is Matt Young's.

5. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day folks have a resource page with some links. WWPD is the last Sunday in April (you've got lots of time to practice. :D ) They have galleries online with several thousand pinhole photos from people all over the world. That might give you some idea of the range of work that's done.

I have some scans here of 4x5 pinhole shots including some tests attempting to check pinhole-to-filmplane optimum distance. To me, I never got quite the sharpness I expected, but like you, I'm not too sure what good is! I purchased an extra body cap for the Bronica SQ-A I just acquired. I plan to try setting that extra cap up for a pinhole/shutter assembly before April 29th next year.

The WWPD folks also run some workshops at various locations, might be a chance to see some other stuff at arm's length if one is near you.

DaveT

7. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For optimum sharpness, pinhole diameter is critical. A good calculator for determining this is the PinholeDesigner

8. jim_moore

jim_moore Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all... this is my first post on APUG!

I'm a newbie to Pinhole photography too - I'm finding it hard to get into making consistent pictures with it but it's all great fun modding and tweaking the camera to get it working for me.

I'm using a modded Dirkon that I have built from the template. Is there any recommendations on film type/speed I should use. I've tried HP5, Velvia 100F and I am thinking about Superia.

Here are some shots so far - nothing great but it's fun.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Robert Kerwin

Robert Kerwin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Jim,

Welcome to APUG! On the contrary, I think your pinhole shots are fine. "Ominous" is my favorite--it's a classic pinhole photo that certainly lives up to its name.

- Robert