Flexicolor SM developer capacity? Extended times/replenishment?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by tbeaman, Jan 22, 2012.

1. tbeaman

tbeaman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I walked into the local camera store the other day and, to my amazement, they had eight of the Flexicolor SM 2L developer packages sitting on the shelf. The rarity of seeing color chemistry these days is one thing, but more than that, they were clearly pricing it to sell, so I promptly bought all of them.

Now I have 16 liters worth of developer and I'm wondering how I should go about it. I've been using the powder press kits up until now, and you can stretch those quite a bit through reuse and extending times. Meanwhile, with what little documentation there is to go with the SM stuff, they recommend using it one shot and not replenishing. What a tremendous waste. So they expect us to pay the MSRP of ~$12 just to develop 5 rolls of film? And that's not including the price of bleach, fix, and stabilizer. I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing in documentation that clearly demonstrates the insanity of it's writers.

So what should I do? Extend times with each session like I do with the powder kits, or is it possible to replenish? I generally use 1 liter at a time in a rotary process, so I could mix the 2 liters at a time and replenish the first liter with the second. Unfortunately, I can't go by standard replenishment rates because the SM mixes up as an already diluted tank solution as opposed to a richer replenisher solution.

Any advice you can give will be rewarded with much gratitude.

2. tbeaman

tbeaman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys! That's very helpful!

3. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No problem!

4. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't use the SM chemistry, but with the Flexicolor Developer / Replenisher (http://www.adorama.com/KKFCDR5G.html) I just use the stuff at the minimum amount needed for the Jobo. So that comes out to about 135ml per roll (270ml in a two roll tank). I do not replenish, or reuse, the developer when used in this way. I reuse the bleach one time. And fix is also one shot.

5. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have used this chemistry before and I extended the times to reuse the developer a second tme, but the film base came out much more brown than the first run, so I stopped. However, I use mine in a Jobo, so my quantities of liquid are much less than an inversion tank.

6. Cruzingoose

Cruzingoose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here is the way I use it.....

For a 1 Liter mix:
    924 mL water
    60mL Part A
    8mL Part B
    8mL Part C

Develop 2:30 At 98dF Then dump it as one-shot. It is not worth saving or taking chances. This chemistry has excellent shelf life. The active component is Part C and could be kept in the frige is desired. I use the 5 gallon minilab kits and decanter the Part C into 100mL glass bottles and keep them in the frige 'till needed.

7. keyofnight

keyofnight Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I hate to revive another old thread, but does anyone replenish SM chemistry? Is it hard to maintain a working solution?

8. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. keyofnight

keyofnight Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2013
  10. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    C-41 is an industrial process, the control plots are very useful for labs trying to make the system really efficient and very consistent over a long period.

As individuals we don't generally do enough volume to keep the developer going for months on end. Just following the replenishing directions will keep us darn close for say two to three weekends then we can toss it and start fresh a month or two later when we get the chance again.

Replenishing takes the guesswork out of the times it's 3:15 and you are done, once you get through it a few times you'll see that it is "as consistent as you are" and then some. I don't remember ever having a developing failure that ruined a negative even when I goofed something up, say doubling or forgetting to replenish between runs.

While we as individuals may get slight variations that a pro-lab wouldn't, we also work differently than a pro-lab, we have different expectations for any given shot than they might for our whole order and its not tough for us to adjust our printing processes.

Replenishing on the bleach, fix, and stabalizer is the perfect choice for everybody because the chems don't go bad by themselves, in fact getting fresh air/oxygen into the bleach is important. These chemicals can be kept replenished indefinitely. The only time I throw these out is when I inadvertently contaminate them.

11. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The replenishment rates are for whatever replenish you use, if it's LORR LU, use LORR LU replenishment rates, Fuji, use Fuji replenishment rates, regardless if you started with SM, Fuji, LORR/Flexi, Tetenal, etc.

I've replenished regular Flexicolor in 1.6L capacity, and it's not hard to maintain using near air free glass bottle, I pour some out, add the replenisher, pour it back in till bottle is full, then toss the left over, this way I keep the bottle full. It lasts quite a while between uses (to a limit), so that's fine. Flexicolor LORR/LU has twice the HAS in it's mixing ratio, and lasts twice as long as normal Flexicolor, as well as half the replenishment rate, so this should last better than normal Flexicolor which already lasts well.

Definately use a separate bleach and fix.