FLORIDA Gulf Coast (FYI)

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Bill Mitchell, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Bill Mitchell

Bill Mitchell Member

For anyone living in or visiting FLorida's Gulf Coast, right now Myakka Park (15 miles East of Sarasota) is about as perfect for photographers as it's gonna get.

2. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've been there many times and the park is a little different each time I go. If you can provide some specifics I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

- Randy

3. r-brian

r-brian Member

When I lived in Ft. Myers, Myakka River SP was definitely my favorite place. My wife and I would reserve a camp site, set up the tent and spend the whole weekend there. From the river oaks, to the live oak hammocks, to the palmetto prairie, it's a great place.

4. Bill Mitchell

Bill Mitchell Member

Randy, not only is the light wonderful right now, but the live and water oak trees are sort of between leaf crops so the tree shapes are more easily seen, and the Spanish Moss shows better. While there is some standing water (great for reflections), the trails are all dry/walkable. Also, right now with the cold snap there are no mosquitoes or snake problems (wich, believe it or not, I've never had a problem in the 30 years I've been going there). Today I saw several small herds of deer, and one flock of wild turkeys. Also, right now, water birds abound.