Foam for Zone VI type 2 enlarger

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by nsurit, Sep 11, 2009.

1. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am in the process of recommissioning a Zone VI Type 2 5X7 enlarger and the foam has fallen apart. Anyone have any idea about what specific product might work well for a replacement for this relatively thin and wide foam? I didn't see anything at Lowes or Home Depot that looked very close. Thank you, Bill Barber

2. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not familiar with the enlarger, nor do I know how this foam might hold up under heat, but in the craft store chains like Michael's, A.C. Moore, or I think even the craft area in WalMart, they sell sheets of foam about 8 x 10 inches and about 1/8 inch or slightly less thick. It comes in a number of colors including black, and is pretty cheap. It's a fairly fine hole pattern, and I think is intended to make cut-out goodies that stick to fuzzy cloth or something of the sort. I've used some on a lens board.

DaveT

3. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps sacrifice spare mouse pads. They seem to proliferate around my office, so a few are brought home for mouse pad live sacrifice, from time to time. Mostly for foam in camera backs that are not worth the money to buy an interslice kit.

5. rmann

rmann Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you need the foam on the underside of the head where it contacts the negative carrier - anything will work as it does not get very hot, it just fills the gap to control light leaks. Why not use the weather strip foam from any of the hardware chains - that is what I did with mine.

6. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    One product sold at many craft stores is Foamies. It's about $1.99 per 8x11 sheet, and it's self-adhesive. It should have a much longer service life than other foams.

And if you make a mistake cutting it, just cut another piece.

7. Richard T Ritter

Richard T Ritter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    McMaster Carr

8. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is offered in 1,2 or 3mm thickness. Any opinions or experience that might suggest what works best or does it make much difference? I was thinking either the 3 or 2mm thickness. Bill Barber

10. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got the Mod 1 zone VI enlarger and the gasket that seals the neg. stage is more like 1/4 to 3/8 thick.Even 3mm is not nearly enough thickness,be better to use the stuff at a hardware store.

11. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I went ahead and ordered a sheet of the 3mm thick foam from Micro-Tools. The stuff that was in there was pretty thin. I think I will removeit and put a double thickness of the 3mm stuff. If that doesn't work, I'll either use a mouse pad or weather stripping. Thnaks to all for your suggestions. Bill Barber

12. Keith Pitman

Keith Pitman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The McMaster-Carr part no. that Richard Ritter recommended is #93085K18. It is an EPDM-type sponge rubber adhesive strip.

13. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought the 3mm from Micro tools and put a double layer and it looked great, hoowever I have a little light leak. Maybe one more layer or try something new. It is the foam that fits on the light head just above the negative carrier. I'm sur it must have been original foam. What a mess. Popsicle stick, elbow grease, denatured alcohol, glass cleaner, small vaccum cleaner and it really looked great, just leaked light. Bill Barber

14. Mike W

Mike W Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Home Depot has weather stripping-black foam with adhesive on one side-works great.

15. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have some, which will be this afternoon's project. Thought I would try to use the "right" stuff first, before I just used what should work. The most difficult part of the project was getting the old sticky stuff off and then getting the plastic cover the light shines throug, clean. What a mess. The foam from Micro tools was good stuff, just too thin. It cut nicely on my mat cutter and installed easily. Bill Barber

16. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    nsurt,Iv'd had good luck with lighter fluid ,dose not attack the paint as fast as other solvents and really dissolves the glue and sticky old foam.

17. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second the lighter fluid/naptha suggestion. Most of the adhesives used on self-stick stuff seems to be more readily softened and dissolved by that than alcohol-based solvents, and it's about the most benign thing I know of for most paint finishes.

18. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used denatured alcohol. It worked great. It is my lens cleaner of choice. That may make some crazy and it does work. Biill Barber