Focus/Finder on Very Early Agfa Record

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by mdm, Jun 1, 2010.

1. mdm

mdm Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have got a very early Agfa Record in a Compur with a 10.5cm Solinar lens. It has cleaned up very well however, somewhere along the line the front element has been tampered with. I am assuming that, focused at infinity the front element must be screwed right in and that I must move the longer stopper screw to make this happen. One full unscrew rotation should set focus at 3ft, but I need a solid starting point.

Also is there a simple way to adjust the popup viewfinder so that the framelines agree with the image on the film?

Fantastic little camera.

Regards
    David

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2010
  2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not hard to set focus on this thing but you need a ground glass or frosted surface to set at the film plane.
    Focus on infinity, a radio antenna or light fixture a block or three away will work. Most of the lenses I've seen like this don't go flush against the body at infinity but have a slight gap. The dimension of the gap isn't important, just getting the focus at infinity..Close focus just is what it is. There's no separate adjustment.

3. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FYI, Some blank processed colour film (with the orange mask) works well as a (very) makeshift ground glass, as well as the frosted variety of tape (selotape, stickytape, whatever people call it). Make sure it sits reasonably flat at the film plane and calibrate away.

4. mdm

mdm Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks guys.

I had a go a few days ago with a piece of pictorico printed light grey but it did'nt work so well so I will try the tape. Fantastic camera but so far I have stuck to f16. So small and useable, a revelation.

David