Focus finder

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by largeformat pat, Apr 24, 2010.

1. largeformat pat

largeformat pat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Any preference on focusing aids?
    Pat

2. jamesgignac

jamesgignac Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm...not from me sorry - I picked up a nice old one from here when I first started out...I can't even recall what the heck it is - it's small, sleek and a vibrant painted blue metal. I can't say it's the best because I only know it works very well for me - prints perfectly focused. I think for items like this I only trust them once I've used them with great success...perhaps there are better ways to go but I can't recommend any :smile:

3. photoncatcher

photoncatcher Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A few years ago I picked up a "Ciba Chrome" focuser off the "bay". it's a weird plastic contraptionthat I never thought would work. I was totaly wrong. The best thing about it is the eye relief. You don't have to crouch down, and squint at a small spot, and it is pretty darn accurate. I also have a Omega grain focuser that I got cheap at a yard sale. It's better for really critical focus because of the front surface mirror. It's also a bit more delicate also.

4. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I really like my Magna Sight. It has a large (39mm?) lens that is intended for focusing without bending over and putting the eye to the lens. But several years ago I learned the trick of attaching a close up lens and focusing with my eye to the lens for greater accuracy. It focuses on the actual image as opposed to the grain, so I find a line or detailed object such as a screw head or writing as my target and get very sharp focus.

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Magna-sight and a Microsight. I use the magna-sight first, the other when I'm having a problem focusing (read : no glasses on). The micro is a tad difficult for me but I like to have the grain sharp. Upon further thought, I mostly use the micro with smaller negs, dont really need it with 4x5 negs.

6. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Exactly what type of close up lens do you attach to a Magnasight? Anyone know where one can be purchased (the particular close up lens, not the Magnasight)?

8. largeformat pat

largeformat pat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks guys. Thanks Ralph.
    I thought that there was something before.
    Pat