Focus screens

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Firestarter, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Firestarter

Firestarter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Anyone ever used an aftermarket focusing screen on their MF camera. I am thinking about getting one for an SQAi. My original has a smudge which I can't remove ( caused by me :sad: ) and it always distracts me when looking through the camera. If I am going to replace it is it worth paying extra for the screens that claim extra brigtness etc.

2. TSSPro

TSSPro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adorama has Beattie inten screen with the 45deg split prism for under $50. A steal for a screen that is normally $200+

Its what I use and the results are great.

3. Firestarter

Firestarter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If it was only $50.00 I would buy one for sure even if it did have a 45 deg split prism. looked on there and only 1 Hassleblad model is that price...damn

I find the Bronica finder a bit dim at times. Did your Beattie screen improve brightness on your camera.

4. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jimmy Koh on Long Island, NY has a soft spot for Bronicas. Find him here. Ring him up, see what he's got. But you're in Ireland, so that might not work for you.

5. TimmyMac

TimmyMac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've got an Intenscreen with microprism/split prism for my RZ67. It's nice, probably 1/2 to 1 stop brighter than the already very good RZ67 screen.

6. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I read somewhere that bright screens don't show DOF correctly, at least for large apertures. If this is correct, it may be an explanation why cameras are shipped with darker screens by default ...

7. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It depends on how the screens are made brighter than others.
    If they employ optical trickery, to direct light, that would otherwise be scattered away in unusefull directions, towards the eye, the rendering of unsharp bits of the image will indeed not be like those bits will be captured on film.