Focusing cloth / dark cloth for 8x10?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Usagi, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Usagi

Usagi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I have couple of dark cloths. They work well with smaller formats, but 8x10 is too big.
    My best dark cloth has kind a elastic neck that stays nicely on the camera back during focusing. No way to stretch that around the 8x10 back :pouty:

Other, classic style clothes are all too small. So I am looking for some source for good dark cloth, preferably on EU area so that buying is easier.

(last option is ofcourse DIY, but I wouldn't do that)

2. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    easiest to make one from two pieces of drapery, or other dense fabric, one black and one white sewn together along the edges. You can get fancy and sew weights in the corners.
    Mine for 8x10 is 5x6 feet, for 7x17 5x8 feet.

3. degruyl

degruyl Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    two black t-shirts, one inside the other. Wear it like a cowl. It fits my Calumet 8x10 without issue (the big side goes over the ground glass). But you don't want to make one yourself...

Oh, I have tried several $$ dark clothes. I still have them. This is better, cheaper, lighter and what I actually use.

4. Usagi

Usagi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Perhaps that is the way to go. 5x6 feet sounds quite big. My current dark clothes are around 3x3.5 feet.

5. aluncrockford

aluncrockford Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  6. jbbooks

jbbooks Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have to get it in the US, but take a look at the BTZS focus hood at the View Camera store:

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/product_info.php?cPath=99&products_id=44

Much lighter than the Harrison, which I started with and still use, occasionally. The BTZS allows you to stand back further without having the cloth sag down and obstruct your view of the ground glass and, while much lighter, is not a problem in the wind and blocks the light more effectively.

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Black Dickies jacket. If it won't stay on the camera, tie the sleeves together. And you don't have to rifle around for it every time, because it is already on you. Mine is actually my Navy utility jacket, which is lined, but lightweight. You might be able to find one in a surplus store for cheap, since the Navy no longer uses those uniforms.

8. Nacio Jan Brown

Nacio Jan Brown Member

Another vote for wearing a couple of black tee shirts like a cowl. Try it, you'll like it.
    njb

9. Usagi

Usagi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried T-shirts couple of years ago. Put black T-shirt inside of white. Even did a bit flexible 'neck' so it was easy to attach to camera.
    The problem was.. The weight of that double T-shirt dark cloth was more than my ordinary dark clothes and it took more space. So soon I abandoned.

The good thing was that you could use arm sleeves for holding loupe etc without allow any light come to ground glass.

10. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

This is a job for young daughters who are learning to sew!:cool:

11. Usagi

Usagi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A lesson learned: If focusing cloth has 'elastic neck' that wraps around camera back, then the drapery must be breathing. Otherwise it will be hot in the sun and goggles are fogged within really short time.
    Apparently my cheap focusing cloth with similar 'elastic neck' as BTZS focus hoods, isn't made such a breathing material.

Too bad that I don't have daughter... and my boy is too young for learning to sew.