Focusing screen, Bill Maxwell

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by cruellas, Mar 31, 2013.

1. cruellas

cruellas Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    hello someone could tell me the address , Bill Maxwell, to change focusing screen type Rolleiflex

2. LucRoMar

LucRoMar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Bill Maxwell
    1+770-939-6644
    Maxwell Precision Optics (for US Mail only)
    PO Box 33146
    Decatur GA 30033-0146 USA

Maxwell Precision Optics (for FedEx, UPS only)
    3158 Caintal Ct
    Decatur GA 30033 USA

3. cruellas

cruellas Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    thanks,have any email address ,greatings

4. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    maxwellprecisionoptics [at] yahoo [dot] com

Let them know that you are in Spain in your email. He prefers to talk on the phone to go over options, issues, etc., but the international rates might change his mind :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013
  5. FL Guy

FL Guy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Understatement.....

Bill is a great guy, he did a CLA and other work (and a screen) on my 3.5F Rollei about 5 years ago. He does like to have a detailed conversation, to his credit I believe it is to make sure you get the right screen model (there are many to choose from).

The Int'l. rates might hold him back on the phone call. Good luck!

FL Guy

6. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, I should have been clear- Bill wants to make certain that you are getting the right screen, that you understand the trade-offs of different styles, etc. For example, in my recent discussion with him about a screen, he wanted to make clear that the split image screen creates focus issues that increase the more you work close and at wide apertures. This is because the habit is to put the desired object at the center of the screen, focus, then reframe. Reframing will change the focus point.

He recently sent me an email that included the following information (in conversation he mentioned that he has reduced his basic screen styles to two, based on a look at actual sales over the last decade or so). I am removing his payment infomration and his phone numbers:

" More than half of my business is international. Read below for descriptions of screens, current prices, payment and shipping options. My HI-LUX screens will look really beautiful in your Rolleiflex TLR (as well as being much, much brighter and easier to focus). If you own other Rollei cameras, I make my HI-LUX screens for the 6000 series, SL66 series, SLX, as well as all models of Rollei TLRs. I also provide my line of HI-LUX focus screens for an incredible variety of both modern and classic cameras of all different formats (35mm, Medium Format, Large Format, DSLRs, Medium Format Digital & Large Format Digital). Please feel free to forward this information to your friends. You may contact me at xxxxxxx (office) or xxxxxx (mobile) with questions or to order:

I make two HI-LUX screens for both the interchangeable hood Rollei TLRs as well as the earlier non-interchangeable hood Rollei TLRs. The screens for the interchangeable hood Rollei TLRs are user interchangeable and do not require any tools or adjustment (presuming that the camera is currently focusing correctly with the original factory screen). The screens for the non-interchangeable hood Rollei TLRs can be supplied either for installation by you or a technician. The self-install kit with materials and instructions is intended for people of average mechanical ability. These screens are:

(1) HI-LUX Brilliant Matte - very bright, contrasty, high clarity, all matte screen - $245.00

(2) HI-LUX Micro/Split RF (Type II) - 4 mm diameter horizontal split image rangefinder in the center, surrounded by a 7 mm diameter microprism collar, surrounded by a bright matte field - $245.00

Line options for screens: All screens are available (a) without lines, (b) with vertical and horizontal crop lines for rectangular pictures, or (c) with grid lines. All of my products are made to order. Please allow us time to produce your screens."

I have the Brilliant Matte screen in a 2.8C. Wonderful. One of those things that if you had never seen it you might not miss it, but once you use one it becomes easier to justify the price. I'm getting a 3.5E worked on by Paul Ebel at the moment and having a Micro/split RF screen installed. I'm interested to see the difference. Since i use the two cameras in different ways, it won't be too confusing.

7. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Anyone know how to contact a moderator here, or how to eliminate a post? I realize that I posted Bill Maxwell's email address in a way that could be harvested by bots. I would like to delete that post and post his address in a safer form.

Any info leading me to the right person or right button much appreciated.

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sent a note to the moderators about this request for you.

For future reference, the little "!" at the bottom left corner of each post is the link you click to alert a moderator.

9. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you for both the report and the information on the little ! mark's meaning.

10. cruellas

cruellas Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    thanks,por su aportacion

11. Matus Kalisky

Matus Kalisky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Waking up and older thread

@Dan - did you get the Maxwell micro/split screen installed on your 3.5F? Could you say few words how does it compares to the plain matte Maxwell screen?

thank you

12. europanorama

europanorama Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Was a great guy from photo.net
    Tom Bloomer , Sep 18, 2012; 04:45 p.m.

I found very sad news on the Brightscreen web site. Posted 09/11/12
    "IMPORTANT:
    We are very sad to report that the owner, founder and driving force behind Brightscreen Technologies, Jim Lakey has passed away. He went peacefully with his wife and daughter by his side.

At this time it is uncertain whether operations at Brightscreen can continue, but we will look at every option in the weeks to come. If you have an order in with us currently, we will be in touch.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through this difficult time."

13. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bill Maxwell is NOT Brightscreen. That is a different company.

14. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And Bill Maxwell has a different name too, he's not Jim Lakey.

15. Evanjoe610

Evanjoe610 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello Folks,

I would like to bring this thread up to date.

I have and use the Maxwell Hi-Luxe focusing screen in my Rolleiflex 2.8F. It is definitely the best of the available screens out there.

With Rollei going bankrupt, beside the Chinese screens available and the Beattie Screens, I resorted to the Next BEST thing of buying an RB67screen ad cutting it down to size along with etching my Choice of gridlines

For the screen I found on eBay original Mamiya RB67 plain screens also a replacement Mamiya RB67 sold by the widow of the late Jim Lakey of BrightScreen.
    These replacement screens, were created to improve the light gathering of the physical screen OVER the original OEM screen. This has been achieve and I do find it easy to achieve that "Snap-to-Contrast".

I used Rick Oleson's service to cut it down to fit my Rolleiflex 2.8F and to etch it with my choice of gridline that he offers as a side business. I am Happy to report that these New Screens are far better than the original Rolleiflex screens and even the Rollei Hi-D screens! Comparing it as it is to my Maxwell screen,
    this new screen is just a tad behind he Maxwell screen. The cost is far lower than that of the Maxwell screen. I am in the process of outfitting all of my Rollei camera screens with this option. For all of my non-removable WLF and the removable WLF Rolleiflex. I recently purchased a Rollei SL66 that will also have its screen replaced too.

I am passing along this information to alert others to another viable source of focusing screens beside the Chinese screens, Beattie screens, Rollei Hi-D and the older screens out there.