Focusing screens for Nikon F100?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by stradibarrius, Jun 28, 2012.

1. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Can you change the focusing screen on an F100? I would like to have one that has a split prism for manual focus lens...the green focus light is difficult for me to work with.

2. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes but Nikon never made one. Beattie did for around $150 +/-.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012
  3. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Indeed. There's also a nice grid screen ("E") that makes levelling the camera easier. I bought my F100 new a few years ago, and got an E screen with it; the factory screen is still new in box.

4. jochen

jochen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,
    since the F-100 has a sophisticated autofocus system with many AF-segments, the split prism rangefinder could eventually make problems with the exposure system.

5. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And I thought it was just me. I got an F100 a while back to experiment with auto focus. I found the green light to be totally useless. When looking at the green light you can't see where the focus target is pointing. When looking at the focus target, I can't see the green light. Maybe it is only for use on a tripod. Why couldn't they have made the focus target light up when its in focus?

6. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Funny but this has never been an issue for me. Focus confirmation dot corresponds to the spot/wide marks on the screen that's toggle controlled. Either it's in or out of focus according to the electronic rangefinder or your judgement. That's what's great about the Sony focus-peaking feature on the NEX bodies that shows in-focus planes and DOF.

7. oneANT

oneANT Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My f100 just arrived today (stunning) and I'll likely add a horizontal split Beattie screen. I use a Katzeye on a D700 and am used to using a split prism. bhphoto has a good price .

Not concerned with any AF function and so cannot comment if AF is affected. The focus confirm is useful if a scene is too dark or lacks contrast, is an aid to focus and not the primary. A split prism makes all the difference.