Focusing W/ Beseler 23cII

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by ProfessorPlum, Nov 18, 2008.

1. ProfessorPlum

ProfessorPlum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello, I have a Beseler 23cII XL and recently the lower bellows (the ones that focus) sopped moving up and down when I would turn the knob. I popped open the back the look at the rod that is responsible for moving the bellows up and down but nothing looks stripped. Does anyone know what the problem is or where you can get a manual?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2008
  2. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have one of these but haven't used it in a while. I think there's a tension adjustment, and yours is probably just loose.

3. gainer

gainer Subscriber

I'll look at mine and see if I can figure it out. I don't use it much anymore as I have a dichroic next to it.

4. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a copy of the manual. send me a message with your email and I'll send it to you.

5. Alexander Ghaffari

Alexander Ghaffari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello mudman, may I have a copy as well? I have a copy, but it is too large of a file to email it to someone who asked me for a copy. If you sent one to me, I would forward it to that person.

Thanks,

Alexander

6. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    just send me a PM

7. konakoa

konakoa Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Inside the cover for the focuser is a rod with two metal wheels. Check that those aren't spinning on the focusing rod when you turn it. If they are, tighten the set screws on the wheels with a allen wrench.

Otherwise, the spring tension for the focus could be weak. It's easily adjusted; at the back of the focuser there are two strips of metal pushing against the rod that adjusts the focus. Tighten the four screws on these metal strips several turns. Check the focus. If it's too stiff, take some tension off the metal strips by backing the screws out. Replace the cover, and you're good to go!

8. mikebarger

mikebarger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Need any parts, let me know. I have a XL III waiting to go to the recycler, just haven't hauled it off yet. It looks like new.

Mike

9. Alexander Ghaffari

Alexander Ghaffari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello mikebarger,

I need several parts for my enlarger. I need the crank elevation handle, the hex cell diffuser, focus knob with extension and screw (for the color head because it is wider), and one of those screws for the head (it holds my Dichro head on) that looks like a knob. Would you happen to be able to spare any of those parts?
    Please let me know if you have any questions for me.

Thank you,

Alexander

10. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Mike, I could use the mounting brackets for a dichro head, without the nobs, if you have them and wouldn't mind.

Cheers,
    Eli

11. Vaughn

Vaughn Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    As Danny suggested, I suspect that those set screws on the wheels need tightening with an allen wrench. Happens occasionally to the wall of 23C's we have...and just this week to one of our Omega D5-XL's, too. The tension settings usually go out of adjustment slowly...while those set screws loosen up all at once.

Vaughn

12. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Just keep in mind, as you make adjustments, not to force anything that screws in and out, most especially small allen screws.

On my 23c, the format adjustment knob screwhead holding it onto the shaft was so throughly stripped at first I thought it was an allen screw. Drilling it out was no big deal but I hate to think what it'd have been like getting a small allen screw drilled out without striping the threads. I've seen similar buggered parts on other enlargers before.

I may be way off base but it seems to me that the small metal fittings on some of these things is softer than it should be.

Eli

13. mikebarger

mikebarger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The one I have is not a color enlarger.

Crank spoken for.

Any of the color items the same on this B&W unit?

Mike

14. mikebarger

mikebarger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I told a lie, the enlarger is a II not a III. I went to storage to double check. Sorry for the confusion.

It's hell to get old.

Mike