Foma Led safelight

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Vania, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Vania

Vania Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello everyone,
    Among other things for the lab, I'm in the market for safelights and stumbled into this
    http://www.foma.cz/ew/6e055ff9-78a1-4fcc-a477-147c4bd01f20-en
    Anyone familiar with these led safelight for B&W printing. Are they safe :-D? I'd go for the red (feels safer) do you think it might work for a quick film inspection also?
    The other option would be a classic kodak beehive. How big are they? Do you thing I would need two for a 12m2 darkroom (one for the sink one for the enlarger)? Or could one be enough?
    Thank you

2. tal bedrack

tal bedrack Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i use a simple red led spot bounced off the ceiling, in the meanwhile no fogged papers :smile: the led bulbs have a very narrow wave length and can be utilized easily for darkroom use.

3. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for this, I have been looking for a Red LED safelight for some time. I shall investagate further.

4. Vania

Vania Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Keep us posted if you find any useful info!
    It's pricey but I tend to think that Foma is a reliable enough brand to trust. Anyone see a reason not too?

5. Rafal Lukawiecki

Rafal Lukawiecki Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Please let us know how it worked out—I recommend you do the Kodak safelight test. I am curious what is the wavelength of the LEDs used in that product.

Officially, red safelight is not safe for film processing, except for orthochromatic film. However, if all you do is a very brief inspection, once the film has already been in the developer for a while (at which time it becomes less sensitive to light) you should get away with it. Personally, I wouldn't risk any negatives that I value this way.

Out of curiosity, why would you like to inspect film? Until you have fixed it, it won't be easy to see that much, especially with a quick inspection, as most of it will be milky opaque.

6. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am just assuming that the film and paper manufacturer does know a little bit about safelights. :wink: Panchromatic films need a dark green safelight, and is only safe even then for a very brief period as far as I understand it. Night googles and a IR-emitting light might be a better bet then.

7. Vania

Vania Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Regarding film inspection I was just considering fooling around with some 8x10 films experiment and save on film by inspecting as opposed to going through the full process before making adjustments. But I must say I don't really know what I'm talking about here :smile:.

8. Trond

Trond Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These safelights seem very nice. Where can I buy them?

Trond

9. Роберт

Роберт Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Foma, Foma distributors, shops in Prague (Foto Skoda) etc.

10. Vania

Vania Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Check their website for distributors (foma.cz)

11. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Trond, maybe you could ask Slavomir at Fomafoto?

12. Vania

Vania Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just a comment on those leds. I bought 3 of the bigger size ones for a 11m2 room and they are very very dim. I had to add a couple normal red safelights. Considering the high price I don't think they are a good value at all.

Vania

13. silveror0

silveror0 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It will depend heavily on what color your walls are. Light colored walls will require less safelight illumination. My darkroom, which has medium-grey walls and is about 3/4 as large as yours, has two Kodak beehives with OC filters 2 meters above my 3.3meter sink (one light over each end) and is adequate for my needs. The enlarger is opposite one end of the sink, and even when the easel is in my shadow cast by the safelight, I can function adequately. Many workers prefer near-white walls.