Foma MG Classic Warmtone & lith

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Pete H, May 18, 2008.

1. Pete H

Pete H Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been experimenting with Foma MG Classic warmtone lith printing. All of my prints come out a virulent orange. I'm using the Moersch SE5 lith kit, and have tried various dilutions between 1+1+15 and 1+1+50, and various amounts of sulphite & KBr additives. They're all orange!

Does anybody have some suggestions for colour control, or should I just use other papers?
    Incidentally, if you gold tone the orange prints they come out an equally virulent blue. :tongue:

Off topic, I have a dwindling supply of Forte Bromofort which I rather like for lith. Can anyone suggest another paper with similar lith characteristics?

2. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...Can you scan? I want to see. Sounds interesting to say the least. :wink:

3. vet173

vet173 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    That has been my experience also. I have also noted that other than gold, any toning wants to go red.

4. Pete H

Pete H Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which toners have you tried? When I used KRST, it bleached the highlights quite strongly and turned everything a dull putty colour - not what I wanted!

Stephanie, I may be able to post a scan in a few days time ...

5. El Gringo

El Gringo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have been getting orangy-pink colours from this paper with Fotospeed lith at higher dilutions (in the same sort of area you have mentioned). I did find that at 1:9 I got creamy highlights/midtones and greenish shadows. The Lacock abbey lith of the window in my gallery was lithed at this dilution.

I also got brownish tones by bleacing the original print, redeveloping the print in Ilford multigrade and then selenium toning it (the Ironworks lith in my gallery is an example of this process).

6. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I'll ask my girlfriend (in here as "stine"), as she uses it all the time, and she can control the chemistry quite well....

link:http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=33254&cat=all&ppuser=23046