Foma Pan 100 120 Negs are Blue, 135 Negs Are Clear?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by marcmarc, Jul 25, 2011.

1. marcmarc

marcmarc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Everyone,
    I just hung up my first roll of 120 Foma Pan 100 to dry. To my surprise the negs have a bright blue tint to them. I've seen slight pink tints on some of my other films (Pan F+ I believe) but not like this. Did I mess up the processing? I pre-soaked for a minute (the water poured out blue-green) Rodinal 1+100 for 7 minutes, two one minute rinses in plain water for stop, then 6 minutes in fresh TF-4 fix. Then a hour long soak for five minutes, dump, and refill for the wash. Negs look nice otherwise. What's really odd is that about a month ago, I shot a 135 roll of Arista Edu 100 which is supposed to be the same film, but it did not have the blue tint. I processes this roll the same as the 120 roll. Any idea or suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Marc

2. trexx

trexx Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    normal, this is the film base.

3. Juri

Juri Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Strong colour cast on film base may indicate underfixing.

4. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I used to shoot a lot of Foma and the base is always blue. I have no idea why but it's normal as far as I can tell.

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Correct, the 120 is blue, and 135 is clear. I have both, and was disappointed the 35mm wasn't blue.

6. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They need to put a warning on the box or something; I think everyone who's ever shot Fomapan in 120 has had this same "WTF?" moment.

It's clear in sheet sizes too. I don't know what's different about 120 that leads them to use this rather odd base.

-NT

7. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Totally agree.

The first time I developed Foma in 120 I thought I did something really wrong and jumped on the internet looking for help.

I wonder how many people go through this, assume there is a defect in the film, and never use Foma again as a result.

Now days I love the blue color. I think it's rather nice looking :smile:

8. mhcfires

mhcfires Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good to know. I have 10 rolls of the stuff and would have been a bit concerned with the first roll. :smile:

9. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At one time I tought about getting a 220 back for my RB67, now I'm glad I didn't!

Jeff

10. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is no guarantee that just because the name of the films are identical that the film is actually the same across the different formats. It is not suprising that the bases are different considering the different mechanical considerations required for the different formats.

Not only the film base may be different but the emulsions may also be different. Note the emphasis on the word may. As an example Kodak Tri-X and Tri-X Professional. This was discussed on an old thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011
  11. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure. But where does the funny color come in? Was there a big sale on 70mm strips of blue polyester?

It's always possible. Foma publishes a single datasheet covering all formats, though, so if there are differences they must not have much functional effect.

-NT

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011
  12. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, it is blue. Take the time to print it. It makes lovely final prints.
    That is all the matters.

13. marcmarc

marcmarc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies. I have read that a color cast on the negs can indicate under-fixing. I hope this isn't the case since I have numerous rolls of Pan F+ have come out with the pinkish cast. I am using TF-4 for six minutes, agitation every 30 seconds and discarding after three rolls so I hope that I'm well within the safety zone of my fixer not anywhere near loaded up with silver. Being a rapid fixer, I would also think that my time of six minutes is also safe. After all, my film usually clears within 15 seconds.

14. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To determine whether the color is in the film base or in the emulsion take a scrap of film and soak it in full strength Clorox. This will strip off the emulsion. Rinse the film and if it is colored then you know that the color is in the base.

15. Роберт

Роберт Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fomapan in 35mm: Tri-Acetate base.
    in 120 roll film: Blue Polyester base.
    In sheet film: Clear Polyester base.

But these things you can find yourself back in the Fomapan film data sheets.

16. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    6 minutes is a long fix time. Twice clearing time is all you need. Don't let any color cast be your guide. It may be just the color of the base as in Foma or just some AH dye as with Tmax. Both harmless. Consider using a fix remover instead of an hour long wash, that will clear any dye and save water. Ilford's wash sequence works great as a guide.

17. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just bought some Fomapan 100 in 120 size from freestyle. I had used a couple rolls of it a few years ago, and because I was shooting new stuff faster than I had time to print it, I didn't get around to doing anything with them until a couple weeks ago. I finally scanned some of the old negs, and was very pleased with the tonality, and so I bought more. I just developed one of the new rolls, and was surprised to see the base is now clear...no more blue. When did that change?

18. Darkroom317

Darkroom317 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  19. Роберт

Роберт Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Foma started with the Fomapan Creative 200 in April this year. The rest of their 120 roll films followed later. On their website (http://www.foma.cz) there are also the new data sheets.

20. chriscrawfordphoto

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  21. chriscrawfordphoto

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Robert (I can read Russian!), I just downloaded the new data sheets.