Foma papers in MACO LP

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by dida, Nov 15, 2007.

1. dida

dida Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all, maybe someone will be interested, just for information. I made three lith prints in MACO LP of the same 35mm negative (Kodak Tri-X) on three Foma papers. From left to right - Fomabrom (Fixed grade - normal), Fomatone MG classics, Foma Variant III. I like the result with Variant paper, the special violet hue is interesting. I don't like this paper for classical BW printing too much, but liths well. Dilution was 1+1+18.

I obtained on Variant some uneven development, mid part was complete black, overdeveloped, still don't know why.

Attached Files:

2. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That Fomabrom doesn't look like it lithed; reminds me of attemps to lith Oriental VC, the newer stuff. Thanks for the tip on the Variant. The MG Classic liths so well that I never thought to try any of their other papers.

3. dida

dida Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I forgot to mention, it is cropped enlargement (1/4 approx) of print. I posted whole Fomatone print in gallery.
    I think fomabrom liths, there is infectious development, but there is not any change in color, the print is just very gritty.

4. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dida, try this: place one drop of Maco solution B on a little strip of Fomabrom. With the lights on. See if there is a color change within the minute. Color change indicates there are developers incorporated, and the paper won't lith. Try it on a little swatch of the other two papers to compare. I pick up a lot of old papers from here and there, and it's a quick test to see what has potential and what doesn't.

5. dida

dida Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Rich, I will try and let you know.

6. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've lithed Fomabrom in Maco LP at a 1:19 dilution and I got some very rich reddish browns, nothing like what your Fomabrom lith shows.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how much developer did you mix up?

7. dida

dida Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm

About 1litre.

8. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    From my personal experience, I've found that mixing that little amount of lith developer gives me very gritty prints and the developer gets depleted fairly quickly.

I generally mix approximately 4.5 liters of developer which includes 25% Old Brown (so about 120 ounces of fresh developer and 30 ounces of Old Brown). Seems to work for me. Try mixing a greater volume to see if that helps.

9. dida

dida Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It make sense. I mixed two times only 1 liter and the window for lith is short. Howerver its influence on grain and color I will test. I also added old brown, but only small amount, 50ml per 1000ml of mixed new. I am just starting, so I am learning. Thanks for advice.

10. dida

dida Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I tried as you suggested, small drop of part B on light. It is late evening, so it is tungsten light. I made digital photo of result after approx. 5 minutes. There was no more change in color, only in smell around :smile:. So fomabrom doesn't interact .... I don't understand yet what is principle, but I can see results.
    All papers FB: foma, foma, foma, ilford.

Attached Files: