Foma T800

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Aurelien, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Does it still exist? I see dev charts everywhere about this fantastic film, but I can't see anything to buy it. So has it been discontinued?

2. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a vague recollection of having read that it was discontinued, but I'm not positive of that. Certainly I haven't seen it in catalogs or even on Foma's Web site, just references from a decade or so ago.

For an EI 800 B&W film, I use Fuji Neopan 1600, rated at 800. This works pretty well developed in XTOL. (My next roll will be in DS-10, which I'm guessing will work about like XTOL with this film, although I have yet to try it.)

3. Aurelien

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Oki for Neopan 1600, but does not exist in 120. And so expensive. Foma films are so cheap and beautiful...

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There was some trademark issue with Kodak about T200, so they changed the name to "Creativ 200," and if they made a T800, they probably renamed it as well.

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It was a truly rotten film, with huge grain, poor tonality and not quite ISO 800 in speed increasing developers. The only reason it is touted as 'fantastic' is its non-availability. I shot 10-20 rolls of it when it was available and don't miss it at all. Ilford HP5 Plus is very nearly as fast (less than 1/3 stop difference in Microphen) and infinitely superior in every other way.

T200/Creative 200/Acupan 200 is another matter entirely. Still not quite 200 in speed increrasing developers (source: Foma tech sheets) but gorgeous tonality.

Cheers,

Roger

6. Aurelien

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Yes indeed, all foma films actually sold are fantastic :smile:

7. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Fomapan T800 was discontinued in 2001 due to very low sales wordwide. The grain was rather big and the investment for Foma to improve this film was too high due to the overal sales at that time.

8. dr5chrome

dr5chrome Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ..we processed allot of the 800T. As a positive, I found it to be a very good film with a very unique grain-look. The DMAX produced was very good for a film of this speed and would push comfortably to 1600iso. We were sad to see it discontinued.

dw

www.dr5.com