Foma Warmtone Classic FB Paper

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by PhilipRingler, Jan 14, 2008.

1. PhilipRingler

PhilipRingler Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm wondering what sorts of results I could get from selenium toning Foma warm-tone classic fiber based paper? It has a lovely sepia-ish tone to it already, but I really want to deepen the blacks. Also what developers would be best to get maximum black out of that particular paper?

2. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    strong selenium toner give a eggplant tone , lower dilution help to take the green cast if you ever add some.

3. Stan160

Stan160 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    1 minute in Harman Selenium 1+3 gives reddish/eggplant tones. 4 minutes makes the image cooler, although still with a touch of red/brown, and deepens the shadows further. I've only tried Ilford MG developer 1+9 with this paper, but 2 minutes development time on the glossy finish paper gives good, deep blacks.

Ian

4. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My findings are similar to Ian's, although I don't tone it these days I prefer the 'duo' colour I get by developing it in a mix of Ilford's WT/CT developers. I would certainly endorse the 2 minute dev. time.

5. bwakel

bwakel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    The best combination I've found with this paper is Ilford Harman Cooltone developer then selenium toning. The cooltone developer produces pretty much neutral shadows and the Harman selenium (at 1+9) then produces really deep, dark shadows with only a hint of reddening if you leave the paper in the selenium for a long time.

Unfortunately Ilford Harman Cooltone has been dropped but there's still a little left in the channel if you search around.

I had hoped that Dokumol would be a good replacement developer but it produces noticeably green tones.

Barry

6. Stan160

Stan160 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's annoying! I bought a bottle of Dokumol recently to try with this paper and Kentmere Fineprint VC, which is my other "new" paper.

Ian

7. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I forget to tamk about developer . This paper is quite sensitive to different developer.
    And even sensitive to developer dilution. I try it with tetenal Warm tone developer 1+9, 1+19 and 1+29 with great result and nice tone get warm red at owr dilution. by the way I the develoment is longer.

8. David Lingham

David Lingham Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As a replacement for Harman CT I use tetnal Eukobrom with Foma WT. It gives good neutral to cool blacks on the warm tone base and can be cooled off further in selenium 1+20.