Fomapan 100 came blank after developing with Rodinal 1+50.

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by baachitraka, May 27, 2012.

1. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got a blank roll of Fomapan 100 after developing with Rodinal 1+50. Camera used was Olympus OM-2sp.

My initial suspicion is the film is not taking up clearly in the take up spool, even though I felt the tension during cocking everytime but during rewinding I felt tension only for couple of wounds after that it was free.

Are there any other reasons for getting a blank roll.

2. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could be underexposed. Was your camera's ASA set to 100? Even underexposed, I would think you'd see something.

3. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was set to 100.

I suspect the film has came out from the take up spool after door was shut.

I Just noticed with an another roll during loading. I tried to cock it two time before I shut the door, but during the second cocking the leader just came out from the take up spool.

Also, after 36 expsoures I still can able to cock the shutter. So, it is my mistake that I did not check it cleanly before I shut the door.

4. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sounds as if the film has not gone though the camera, when using 35mm I always tighten the film with the rewind after winding 1 frame, then make sure the rewind knob turns as I wind the film on, this after I had the same problem. I had not attached the leader to the take up spool properly, know I am carefull to check the first few frames.
    Richard

5. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think your initial assessment is correct. The film didn't advance. When I shot 135 I always loaded my camera as follows...

Make sure the film tongue is pushed well into the take-up spool groove.
    Advance one frame with the back open while using light finger-pressure to keep the film slightly taught.
    I also used another finger to keep slight pressure on the film at (on) the take-up spool.
    Use the rewind knob to put very slight tension on the film.
    Close the back while continuing to keep the film under slight tension.
    Advance the film to frame 1 while releasing the tension on the rewind knob and...
    Watch the rewind knob turn while advancing the film.

I learned the above procedure after losing, what I thought at the time, was a very important roll of film. It was a fail-safe method for me for years. Yes, it might waste one frame of film but it's worth it, IMHO.

6. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nevertheless, it was a test shoot of my first fomapan 100. I will make sure things go right next time...

7. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Watch the rewind knob as you advance the film it should turn. If it doesn't you have a problem.

8. gb hill

gb hill Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is the 2nd thread I've seen today posted on forums about negs from rodinal coming out blank. I've had a 2 year unopened bottle of Rodinal I wanted to try today of all days.:smile:(usually I use HC110) so I was afraid this was sign that my negs were gonna come out blank for sure. Well thankfully they came came out. Right now they are hanging to dry. I used Arista EDU400. I really like this film in HC110. I hope Rodinal will look ok as well since this is my 1st time with Rodinal.

9. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is certainly not a problem with Rodinal at all. Since, I got the film markings right aftert the development. So, it was the problem during loading the film somehow the film got slipped out of rewinding spool.

10. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Was the leader/tongue (the part exposed to light during loading) developed? (should be 'black')

11. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The developer is seldom to blame when film comes out blank even when Xtol was used. When such problems occur the first question which must be asked is whether human error is envolved. Only when this has been eliminated should other sources be investigated.

In computer science there is the acronym PEBCAC; "Problem Exists Between Computer And Chair." Think about it -- the same principle exists in photography. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
  12. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I did suffer some dead developer last week (not Rodinal) and it did develop the leader but nothing else. So it can happen.

Whatever goes wrong, it's a sad feeling to lose your pictures.

13. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes it was black and I don't blame the developer.

14. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The shelf life of Rodinal exceeds that of sand, or dirt, or nitrogen, or any other physical compound you choose for comparison. :D

Seriously, Rodinal even in a partially-used bottle lasts for decades.

I've been using it (not the same bottle) for over 50 years and never had a problem.

- Leigh

15. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For certain cameras it is helpful to bend the last 1/4 inch of the leader back on itself to form a hook. This helps to prevent the leader from slipping out of the takeup spool. This trick works well with older cameras.

16. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This film is rather very stiff, also OM-2sp loading experience is not that good when compared to OM-1n.

17. LouisG

LouisG Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The answer is to check whether you can see the numbers and words along the edge of the film that show the name of the film and the exposure number: if you have a clear film with no negatives after development but the numbers and text are visible, the film was developed but did not get exposed; if the numbers are missing too there was no development [whether or not the film was exposed in the camera]. Louis

18. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Numbers and names were there after development. Actually it was my mistake that I did not check whether the film has taken up properly in takeup spool.

19. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had that happen some time back, rookie boggle. Make sure the leader is wrapped at least one full wrap before closing the door. Then turn the rewind backwards to feel tension on the film, wind one more shot to determinr rewind knob is turning to ensure proper loading and advancing of film.