Fomapan 100 classic anti-halo effectiveness

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Alessandro Serrao, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,
    I'm starting this topic derived from my last one about reversing Fomapan 100 classic.
    How's effective the anti-halo of Foamapan 100 classic?
    I'm getting glowing highlights with some unusual halo around very bright objects, where there's a sudden change from white to black.
    The pre-wash water remains clear.

2. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You need to re-read that PDF where Foma mention the Anti-halation backing at the bottom right of the first page.

I've used a lot of Fomapan 100 and never had a halation issue.

Ian

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The AH-layer is only mentioned with reference to type 120 and sheet film, not with reference to 35mm.

Foma meanwhile got a new data-sheet with a different text referring to the bases and AH-layers, but still not with reference to 35mm.

Typically 35mm film has not got an anti-curling backlayer, which often contains an anti-halo function. But in this case the AH-layer could be placed on top of the substratum under the emulsion. The optimum location anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2012
  5. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Ian,
    there's no mention of a anti-halo backing for 35mm.

"The following bases are used for manufacturing the particular sorts of the film:
    - 120 rollfilm - a bluish polyester base 0.1 mm thick, furnished with a matted colour backing which will decolourize during processing. The backing has anti-halation and anti-curling properties and prevents the incidence of Newton rings during
    enlarging.
    - 35 mm film - a gray or gray-blue cellulose triacetate base 0.125 mm thick,
    - sheet film - a clear polyester base 0.175 mm thick furnished with a matted colour backing which will decolourize during processing. The backing has anti-halation and anti-curling properties and prevents the incidence of Newton rings during enlarging.
    "

There's no mention of a anti-halation backing for 35mm...

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 35mm section has a comma at the end and so the comments for the anti-halation backing etc are the same as for sheet film.

The effects you're describing are probably over developerd and blown out high-lights. Foma films need careful testing to find the right exposure index and development time, they are rather prone to excessve contrast and over development if you aren't careful and need about 2/3 to 3/4 th development time of other films.

Ian

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought so too. But in this case it would be a bad lay-out or wording. See above for my added hint for another location of the AH-layer.

8. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Or could be a typo: a comma instead of a period...
    However it's rather difficult to overdevelop when reversing, and I've done preliminar tests to find that Fomapan 100 classic reverses bets when exposed @160 and first developed for 12min (that's the standard time for first development).
    Does overdevelopment in a reversal context controls only Dmax, while Dmin is only controlled by exposure (that is the exact contrary of a negative)?
    Could this glowing effect be the reason why Dr5.com says that Fomapan 100 classic cannot run in his process?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2012
  9. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I understand it, Foma 35mm film does not have effective anti-halation coating. I've noticed this in both ISO 200 and ISO 400 versions of the film. It's really beautiful for portraiture for this very reason. I haven't shot a lot of the ISO 100 film in 35mm, mostly in 120, where the same the 'blooming' around light/dark boundaries is not as visible.

10. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It would be interesting to ask Foma directly but they don't answer any email.

11. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I haven't read their data sheets, but I get halation from the 400 in 35mm. Whether the film lacks an anti-halation layer or it is poor doesn't matter. I like the film anyway, just like Thomas, because of the halation, and the spectral response that favors reds.

12. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Anyway, I've sent an email to Dana Hoja, Foma Bohemia and FomaFoto.
    Let's see if they care about the customer this time...

13. grommi

grommi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For 35 mm the gray tint of the layer has quite good antihalation properties itself, same principle as with the Kentmere films, but imo slightly better. It doesn't matter mostly and a halation effect can be seen maybe around strong lights, especially with night shots.

Because of the extreme high yellow-red sensitivity (see data sheet) of the Foma films you may notice highlight burning especially with portraits. This effect is different from halation. Although high red sensitivity reduces skin irritations the film makes a very pale skin. That can be what you want, but that's why I don't like the Fomas for portraits. Even a superpan film like Technical Pan makes much nicer skin tones imo, the colour range is extended but does not increase in red sensitivity. For landscape I like the Fomas.

Best - Reinhold

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think whether a film is good for portraiture or not is a matter of taste. Check out post #49 in this thread:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/71673-status-fomapan-200-a-3.html

Sander's results are pretty interesting, I think, and the highlight intensity is used to create really wonderful tonality that makes the picture radiate.

16. grommi

grommi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Thomas,

yes, Sanders is a master and I observe his work regulary on flickr with big interest. The picture of Melanie you mentioned above really shows what is so special with Fomapan films and portraits. So scarse before blowing. Imagine a cloudy day outdoor and you probably will get flat pale faces. A master like Sanders can handle that and create a great photo. Of course it's a matter of taste. That's why I used the verbs "can, may, want, like".

Best - Reinhold

17. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Either that or he knows to shoot in good light. :smile:

18. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  19. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For the sake of completeness I've received a reply from Slavomir Polivka of Fomafoto.com (whom I thank very much).
    It states: "Fomapan 100ASA 35mm has special colored blue-gray backing to eliminate halation. Its not the same as anti-halation backing of 120 and sheet film."

So the pdf has no typo: Fomapan 100 classic has NO anti-halation backing and relies completely on the base colour to eliminate halation.

20. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So it seems Foma did not do the latter.

21. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd like like to point out that Mr. Polivka received the reply direcly from the factory.

22. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The pressure plate surface in camera is the usual halo source with some films.
    Film sensitivity and AH-layer are secondary.

23. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ??

24. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  25. Bob van Sikorski

Bob van Sikorski Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  26. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Halo rules, its authentic, its film, We are sick of AH-layers, if You don't need halo - go digital! :D